PM-728VT Questions after two-years use

If you are not able to measure your quill OD, you can send the quill in and we can check it for you if needed.

Its a fine line between play or flex, I would call "play" like where you barely touch it and it bumps back and forth. Almost like one finger hardly any pressure kind of thing, if that makes sense.

The "flex" on the other hand would be a little different, that's going to happen. I can move the head .005 or so on our large CNC machining centers by pushing on them. They don't have a quill though so not quite the same thing, there is no moving/sliding part to have play, this would be all flex. And the quill lock did make a difference on yours too

I just measured a couple quills, they are both right around 2.361" (plus or minus .0002) (Just under 60mm if going by Metric) See where you are with yours. The quill bore is 60mm on these mills.

If any issues, please email our tech@precisionmatthews.com I am not on here enough to reply fast (Please put a copy of this in so they know what you are talking about)
Thank you for joining the conversation. I took a few measurements:
1) Quill diameter 2.3610"±.0001. I took several measurements and the quill appears to be cylindrical.
2) Radial quill movement with indicator mounted to head: .002".
3) Radial spindle movement, minus quill: .001".
4) Total radial movement from table to spindle (quill+spindle+column deflection): .004".

I was putting about 5 pound of radial force into the spindle when taking measurements.

At this point, I think this is typical for a machine of this type. Perhaps a finer fitting quill and better spindle bearings would help, but that seems like a lot of work and uncertainty that it would accomplish an improvement. I have adjusted my hole spotting process and I'm getting good results. A little more time consuming but not a huge deal.

Thanks
Bryan

Back