PM 727m fine downfeed lash

ar.knives

Registered
Registered
hey guys, have anyone come up with a way to fix lash in the fine downfeed? i need to have a consistant contebore depth and the way it is im not confident in it. and the Z comlum isnt precsice either. it tends to jump down and not very smooth. unless there is a way to fix that also.

thanks.

On my PM 727m the quill has a tendency to hang up then drop with it fully retracted but doesn't bother as much if it's down .250 when I start. I tightened the return spring a bit to keep the back lash in the rack on one side of the travel. I removed the alignment screw and deburred the tip which helped a bit. the other thing I did was added a spring between the split cotter halves that lock the quill. That was not a quick easy job because you have to remove the gear shift knobs and front panel. I did find that the quill DRO bracket was loose when I was in there. That appears to have helped the most but still not perfect. I have a tendency to lower the quill about .250 then go down from there which seems to help the most. I do not see any way to remove the backlash in the rack or the fine down feed box. At the price point of the 727 I knew that it was not going to be perfect but have enjoyed the machine very much because once you learn its little flaws and how to work around them it not a bad machine. I hope these ramblings at least can give you some ideas of things to try. Hopefully someone else has some other thoughts to share also.

Back