PM 5C Collet Chuck review

Since this is a thread on the 5c chuck from PM, can anyone recommend a good 5C collet set to use for this chuck. My 1340 is coming this summer.

Thanks

Last edited:
Since this is a thread on the 5c chuck from PM, can anyone recommend a good 5C collet set to use for this chuck. My 1340 is coming this summer.

Thanks
I bought the metric set of collets from PM. They are decent and work, but not as nicely finished as an inch sized Lyndex collet I bought. I need to machine anything I am doing on nominal or lower since I found they only have about 0.001” on the plus side before it gets tight. The Lyndex collet on the other hand has at least a few thousanths on the upper side. I don’t have gage pins, so can test it, just estimating using a 0.375” rod.

Most of what I do is metric, so I am buying the inch sized collets as I need them. I can’t comment on if the inch sets are the same, but for the price, it is hard to beat. I figured I would start with this set so I had everything I needed and replace the most used sizes with a quality brand as needed, but not sure that will be necessary. A quality brand like Lyndex is going to run you several times the PM price. In case you are not aware, Lyndex collets are made in India, so even at that price you are not getting American made.

I bought the metric set of collets from PM. They are decent and work, but not as nicely finished as an inch sized Lyndex collet I bought. I need to machine anything I am doing on nominal or lower since I found they only have about 0.001” on the plus side before it gets tight. The Lyndex collet on the other hand has at least a few thousanths on the upper side. I don’t have gage pins, so can test it, just estimating using a 0.375” rod.

Most of what I do is metric, so I am buying the inch sized collets as I need them. I can’t comment on if the inch sets are the same, but for the price, it is hard to beat. I figured I would start with this set so I had everything I needed and replace the most used sizes with a quality brand as needed, but not sure that will be necessary. A quality brand like Lyndex is going to run you several times the PM price. In case you are not aware, Lyndex collets are made in India, so even at that price you are not getting American made.
Hey thanks for the info. I thinking going with the PM for now while I learn. Who knows, might be all i need.

Thanks
I have both the 5C set tru chuck and the full 1/64 collet set from PM. Both are very good and very useful for my PM1340GT lathe work. There are always "better" something out there but for my needs it works very well. The price was right and it is definitely better than the Clough42's reviewed chuck...

My first 5C chuck had a problem as the internal bore was too small fit for some of the collets and it was immediately replaced by PM. Great customer service that you will never get from an eBay vendor.

Ariel

I have both the 5C set tru chuck and the full 1/64 collet set from PM. Both are very good and very useful for my PM1340GT lathe work. There are always "better" something out there but for my needs it works very well. The price was right and it is definitely better than the Clough42's reviewed chuck...

My first 5C chuck had a problem as the internal bore was too small fit for some of the collets and it was immediately replaced by PM. Great customer service that you will never get from an eBay vendor.

Ariel
Thanks Ariel. Thats good to know.

I bought one of these cheap collet chucks, took it apart and found similar issues.
After a good clean up, debur and add proper lubrication it made quite a difference.
Very serviceable for sure.
I also purchased a 5C chuck from Toolmex, made in Poland. A much better quality chuck.
The runout is .002” though. Probably good enough for the work I do.

I watched Clough42’s video also, that one was a mess.

I bought one of these cheap collet chucks, took it apart and found similar issues.
After a good clean up, debur and add proper lubrication it made quite a difference.
Very serviceable for sure.
I also purchased a 5C chuck from Toolmex, made in Poland. A much better quality chuck.
The runout is .002” though. Probably good enough for the work I do.

I watched Clough42’s video also, that one was a mess.
I’m surprised the Toolmex has that much runout. I’m glad the PM chuck has the adjustability, I can dial it in as accurate as my OCD that day demands :).

Back