PM 1440TL with Hitachi WJ200-075LF VFD Delivery, Clean up and VFD Set up

BladesIIB

https://www.youtube.com/c/BladesIIB
H-M Platinum Supporter
My PM 1440TL arrived on Friday and I spent the weekend getting the machine in place, cleaning off all the rust preventative and finishing all the VFD wiring. Took the whole weekend and I put together a video of the process from truck delivery, using a forklift and rollers to get it in place, all through clean up, and an overview of the wiring for the VFD. Check out the video on YouTube - 3 days of work in 35 minutes. Hope it will help someone with their planning process. I spent weeks planning for the deliver to ensure I had everything in place. Also spent about 3 weeks learning about the VFD an getting the enclosure side of it built and ready before the lathe arrived.

Last night I finally ran the break process and changed the oil in the Headstock and the Gearbox. Tomorrow I have the day off and will cut the block for the Quick Change Tool post I purchased and finish fitting the 4 jaw chuck and the Atlas collet chuck. Then it should be time to start making some parts. So far everything has gone really smooth. I was unsure about the VFD install, and Matt at PM told me there was a lot of support on this forum and he was correct. Huge shout out to Mark Jacobs mksj on this forum for all of his help and support getting me all set up with the VFD. There is a learning curve to get the VFD set up but in my opinion it was so worth it. Very glad I have a 3 phase machine and the added features the VFD provides.

Looking forward to learning and sharing on this forum. Currently working on a new lock mechanism for a folding knife. I have a couple of prototypes complete and am working through the patent process. May be a while before I can post those, but will share when I can.
IMG_4464.jpg

Great video. I enjoy these for many reasons. Always good to see how others move equipment and organize their shops.

So....what are you using the lathe for?

Very nice!! I am beginning to wonder what I am doing wrong, with all you guys buying TL series lathes. If I could, I would upgrade from my PM1022 lathe, but not in the cards yet.
I am curious about the patent process. I had a good friend of mine, whom is an engineer, tell me that it is at least $5000 for a basic patent. Seems like if that is true that the little guy could never patent anything.
I had to laugh at one of the comments on the YouTube when he said "I love your Hellcat". I was thinking F6F? Oh, nope. Dodge. LOL.

So....what are you using the lathe for?
Spacers/stand offs for folding knives as well as a few other knife parts. Thumb studs, and some custom pins for a new lock design I invented.

Very nice!! I am beginning to wonder what I am doing wrong, with all you guys buying TL series lathes. If I could, I would upgrade from my PM1022 lathe, but not in the cards yet.
I am curious about the patent process. I had a good friend of mine, whom is an engineer, tell me that it is at least $5000 for a basic patent. Seems like if that is true that the little guy could never patent anything.
I had to laugh at one of the comments on the YouTube when he said "I love your Hellcat". I was thinking F6F? Oh, nope. Dodge. LOL.
Ha, yes Dodge Hellcat. As for the patent process, your friend gave you the basic info about right. You have lawyer fees, then drawing fees, then filing fees. Base price or extra if you want to expedite. Then sounds like they usually send it back a few times for revisions so more lawyer fees. I am hoping it is all worth it in the end. Only time will tell. Could end up just another 8.5x11 piece of paper I hang on the wall beside my Machinist Ticket and my Degree. As for the lathe, I had a Jet in order and a buddy steered me to PM. The GT was not in stock so I went with what was. Very happy I did. The extra weight of this TL makes it a pretty rock solid machine.

Thank you for the response my friend.
One thing you will really like is the service from PM. They are top notch should you ever need them. Oh, and welcome to the best (friendliest) machining forum on the internet. :beer mugs:

Thank you for the response my friend.
One thing you will really like is the service from PM. They are top notch should you ever need them. Oh, and welcome to the best (friendliest) machining forum on the internet. :beer mugs:
Thank you! Very welcoming group so far.

Back