PM-1440GT Lathe won't power on

jimbo fury

Registered
Registered
Bought this lathe brand new last year and just now finally got everything set up and ready to go......and it won't power on. I have verified I have power coming in and I have power coming in and out of the transformer. I've checked the foot brake limit switch. Can't figure out why I am not powering up the machine. Any help would be great please. I'm sure once I figure it out I will love this lathe until the end of time.

Take the metal spade for the safety switch off of the door/belt housing, and insert it into the the receiver manually. It may not be seating, and completing the safety circuit. I think when PM does their run testing they put in a dummy one, it must have run before it was shipped out.

In the past with another 1440GT the belt cover switch was faulty and in other cases the switch came loose and was not engaging. You should have a power on light at the front. You can also try to jumper the cover safety switch, also some other models have a chuck key guard with a micro switch, so it must be down. Below is what I mapped out a while ago, but it seems to vary a bit with the production date.
1440GT Wiring Terminals.jpg

I have to ask. Is the red button on the front panel(STOP) pushed in. Twist it and let it pop out.

How about the chuck guard, is that down? I know someone that did that once (or twice) :oops2:

I wish mine had a chuck guard. I get tired of oil slinging all over me and the truck right behind it.

I wish mine had a chuck guard. I get tired of oil slinging all over me and the truck right behind it.
Yeah, I actually really like the one on my new 1440 Eisen.

Take the metal spade for the safety switch off of the door/belt housing, and insert it into the the receiver manually. It may not be seating, and completing the safety circuit. I think when PM does their run testing they put in a dummy one, it must have run before it was shipped out.
This is precisely what happened with my 1440GT. It was the thing Matt had me check first.

Back