Pm 1440 get leveling

To avoid the chance of push away and tool wear turning the long bar, turn 4 - 1/2" collars on the shaft 1/2" wide. Same as the 2 collar test but you have 4. Take a .002" final cut and then turn off the spindle, do not move the cross-slide, move the saddle to the right and observe the tool and see if it drags on the collars. I suspect the bed is .00025" bigger or higher toward the part (if dip means smaller OD) in the area. An easy way to verify this is to to put a round test bar between centers and indicate the side of it or get a precision .0003" to .0005" / 12" level and set it on the cross-slide or saddle wings and slowly move the saddle along the bed watching the bubble. You have a lathe and not a cylindrical grinder. You can't expect perfect on a lathe.

Last edited:
So it is interesting. we are dealing with 3 1/0ths in the center, and the outsides are cutting dead nuts. Many things I can think of MAY cause this.Please note, I AM a novice. First, 3/10000ths of an inch is what I would personally call dead nuts. :)

First step. Sharp and honed cutter for this. not a typical carbide insert. I would guess you COULD use carbide, but hone it and remove as much nose radius as you can.

Could harmonics in the bar be causing it? Maybe? Change your feed and speeds and see if you are seeing the exact same values on a new cut. A change in harmonics may change what you are seeing when you remeasure.

Could a shight head nod be causing this? Maybe? Lets explore this. IF the head is slightly nodding you MAY be cutting at tangent in the middle of the bar, however, you may be a hair above tangent at the head, and a hair below at the tail side. This would cause a cut that is bowtie shaped. Not visible, but we are talking 3 10ths here.

Have a beer, and take solace in knowing that your lathe is more dialed in than most hobbiest lathes in existence at this point is my advice. ;-p

If curiosity gets the best of you, run a 10ths indicator along the TOP of a test bar and see if you are getting a constant slope up or down.

Last edited:
Here’s what I’m seeing on mine.

My head has about 1.5 thou UP from spindle, and about 6/10th IN

Attachments

• 0A1EB052-5B9B-4AA4-A75F-C263F47ED5F8.jpeg
    0A1EB052-5B9B-4AA4-A75F-C263F47ED5F8.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 65
  • C3A24F2E-22F5-4E39-90F9-3B8615EF514A.jpeg
    C3A24F2E-22F5-4E39-90F9-3B8615EF514A.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 70
  • D53668B4-1796-4D50-8BA4-B87777E5EB3A.jpeg
    D53668B4-1796-4D50-8BA4-B87777E5EB3A.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 67
  • EED182C7-A60C-4E85-99B5-4DE384539BD1.jpeg
    EED182C7-A60C-4E85-99B5-4DE384539BD1.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 65
Did you rotate the spindle on both ends? Many times if the are out you have to split the difference if moving the test bar in the hole. I've even sprayed Dykem layout fluid as a shim.

Did you rotate the spindle on both ends? Many times if the are out you have to split the difference if moving the test bar in the hole. I've even sprayed Dykem layout fluid as a shim.
Here is what I am getting on my machine. Please note, I am not the OP so I want to be careful about hijacking his thread. I just think context may be helpful here with him dealing with 3 tenthousanths of an inch to see what other folks are getting.

This test bar is made in India, and I think I MAY have the tinyest of issues with the taper that seats into the headstock. The reason I think this is I at one point marked the high spot on the test bar, and then unmounted it, turned to to a random orientation and re-seated it, and the high spot changed.

Attachments

• 563503BD-0C16-4858-BEC8-A02C103A986D.mov
    6.8 MB
  • 1171F385-7173-462F-B335-B3AAF2836BCC.mov
    7.7 MB
So what you can do is rotate the spindle (put it in neutral) and take the high an low and average the difference, assumes the test bar diameter is accurate.

So what you can do is rotate the spindle (put it in neutral) and take the high an low and average the difference, assumes the test bar diameter is accurate.

Test bat is accurate in size within 1.5 tenths measured by mitutoyo digital micrometer every inch of its length. Mostly accurate to within .00005 aside from the last inch where it is .00015 over

Hi @BCwoods
Ok trying to level this lathe. I have a 2in bar 11 in stick out and I have both ends within .0002 but the middle dips in about .0005? All my adjustments are made on the outs
Just noticed your posting and I also have a PM1440GT. Your numbers look really good to me! So I wanted to ask you a couple of questions about your cutting process in the photo of the 0.0005" measured run out....if you can recall. The surface finish on your stock actually looks pretty good for what you did. I have tried small cuts with some carbides that do not look nearly this good. What carbide insert were you using, i.e. tip radius etc.? What were the rotational and feed rates used? What metal were you using? What was the small DOC?

Lastly, where did you get your bellows and how did you attach it.... for catching the cuttings?

Now, and just for fun comments from you and others I offer the following comments: Wrt to the leveling process just a couple of thoughts. Looks like the PM machinist level is quoted to have 0.0005"/10" resolution (radians). A number of cheep Amazon advertised levels claim to have 0.0002"/10" resolution( 0.00002 radians)...if you can believe the adds. It is interesting to look at this resolvable angle in degrees rather than radians. (0.0002/10) * (180 degrees/pi() radians)= 0.00115 degrees. (An extremely small angle). This means of course that with a level like this it is very difficult to use. The lathe must first be fairly level so that the bubble is not just slammed up against one end of the vial .... and may not even be visible.... and almost any simple adjustment just slams it to the other end.

I think the screw feet on the 1440 use a 1/2"-11 tpi thread (an old obsolete English tpi). So turning the screw one turn lifts/lowers that corner by 1/11 inches =0.091". Front to back the leveling screws are spaced at about 15". So turning one foot screw a single turn represents an angle change of 0.091"/15" = 0.00607 radians if the lathe bed were not as stiff as it is. But, still, one might ask, What fraction of a turn of the leveling foot yields the resolution of the level? 0.00002/0.00607=0.00329 turns. So 0.00329 * 360 degree/turn = 1.19 degree. (Most folks like to think of turning an adjustment screw in 1/4 or 1/8 or maybe 1/16th turns of adjustment, but it is possible to make smaller changes if the screw metal friction is not too stick-slip or elastic under the load.) On a really good day it seems that very few of us could ever turn this small 1 degree amount on one of the leveling feet screws....especially when under load and the screw breaks loose. So lets assume that one can not turn the foot screw any less than 5 degrees and this is probably optimistic for many of us. Then 5/1.19 = 4.22 . So the change in the tilt angle of the lathe for a 5 degree foot screw rotation yields 0.00002*4.22~ 0.0008 radians. Clearly the PM level with 0.0005"/10" rotation is even a little over kill. Of course, the lathe bed does not even respond like this simple twisting concept as it is quite stiff, and turning one foot tends to change the load on the others. Hence, you have to turn it more than this simple model would call for in order to change the tilt (twist). (My own experience with this machine was that the bed is so stiff and strong one could turn one corner leveling foot screw until it was completely free from the floor and still the bed twist was not much. My guess is that most of the reason we try to achieve really good lathe bed flatness is distribute the weight so that the lathe does not vibrate (twist and shake) when running.)

The second part of this simple modelling story is even more interesting and is probably failing due to other factors in the process. The lathe cutting tool is usually mounted at the center line of a piece of work. This means that as the lathe bed twists the tool point raises or drops at this point. But this motion at this point is also tangential to the work surface and so if the tool point moves up or down vertically by a small amount it makes an even smaller change in the diameter of the work. Of course this up/down motion depends on the radius of the work piece as one cuts at the circle surface. In your photo you appeared to use a rod of about 1" diameter, but lets assume that it was two inches diameter so that the radius is 1". So for a second, lets assume that the bed twist is bad enough that the tool has dropped down 0.001" at this 1 " distance. This would be an angle of 0.001"/1" or 0.01/10" or 0.115 degrees (About 100 times bigger than the resolution of that Amazon's Machinist level.) But the important question is: What is the cutting error? i.e. the change in the cutting radius of the work piece. A triangle from the center of the work piece has one side of 1" and the other side length of our twist deflection, 0.001". Hence the hypotenuse of this triangle is the root of the sum of the sides squared (1.0^2 +0.001^2)^0.5 = 1.0000005" . (And by the way, this has all made the assumption that one is working at the far end of the lathe bed so that the full twist is coming into play!) So the cutting radius error appears to be only 0.0000005" ~ 0.0127 microns and not even observable by the tools we have!

So how good a level does one really need and why? This simple model would indicate that the machinist level does not need to be all that great!

Also we also might note that this error is much, much smaller than the grain size in any material that we work with so our cutter would need to be sharp enough to cleave grains in two rather than just pulling them out ..... (At the molecular level, no one really understands the cutting process. But there have been lots of academic papers written on the subject.)

Once a lathe is "reasonably" level, other things like material deflection, backlash in the cross feed, cutter grabbing or rubbing, etc. can probably introduce much bigger cutting errors. One of these days I may buy one of those alignment bars that @davidpbest mentioned!

Dave L.

Ok so I'm typing on my phone but to try and answer some of your questions. I actually got it down to .0001 over 11 in stick out. I took the advise and used a sharp hss to bit with small cuts. The bar was a 2 in cold rolled steel. I got a better finsh with that then the carbide. However all that is great but if you have bad technique like me you still won't be as accurate when turning... maybe one day. Carbide see attached photo. I think I was around 250rpm with .026 for the lead screw but as others said this will wear out your carbide which it did. The bellows material can be bought from mcmaster Carr and I just use magnets to hold on place. Sometimes it's in the way.

Attachments

• 20221110_182801.jpg
    20221110_182801.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20221110_182745.jpg
    20221110_182745.jpg
    641.8 KB · Views: 45
Wow! Thanks. Wow! 0.0001" I've never really needed to cut anything to better than 0.001. And I thought that when people really wanted to get below that they were talking about ground surfaces.

Dave L.

Back