PM 12x36

slingshot

Active User
Registered
Hello folks, I have got my lathe setup I got the tail stock lined up also trued up my spindle and chuck back plate.I am having trouble with my face plate it's almost like the taper in the plate is two small because the back plate want seat to the spindle. I'm wondering what is the best way to spin the face plate so I can take a little taper out?

Thanks
J.B

Take a piece of round stock (a few inches long at least) weld a piece of flat stock with two holed drilled in both sides to one end of the round stock. The fixture will look T-shaped. True it up as best you can. Mount the round stock in a good chuck then, use bolts to clamp the faceplate through the holes.

Let me know if you need a better description.

Ray

Hello folks, I have got my lathe setup I got the tail stock lined up also trued up my spindle and chuck back plate.I am having trouble with my face plate it's almost like the taper in the plate is two small because the back plate want seat to the spindle. I'm wondering what is the best way to spin the face plate so I can take a little taper out?

Thanks
J.B

Take a piece of round stock (a few inches long at least) weld a piece of flat stock with two holed drilled in both sides to one end of the round stock. The fixture will look T-shaped. True it up as best you can. Mount the round stock in a good chuck then, use bolts to clamp the faceplate through the holes.

Let me know if you need a better description.

Ray

Thanks Ray I don't know why I didn't think of that I guess I didn't think hard enough.

Before I cut anything, I'd sure look for other reasons that would prevent it from shouldering out. Burrs on threads, dirt, etc. Clean it absolutely clean. But once you get it to fit, however you do it, put a little oil on the threads. Then you should probably take a skim cut to true the face up. Check with indicator before just to make sure it's really needed, but I would expect it to show some runout since obviously there is some sort of fit problem.

Or is this not a threaded spindle? Other issues are in play if it isn't.

Tony, it's a D1-4 spindle.

J.B., if the taper on the faceplate truly is too small to fit the taper on the spindle, I would recommend contacting Matt about it first rather than trying to repair it yourself.

Thanks, Will. I did fail to research that before commenting.

Yes, best to contact Matt. If the chuck fits, and if you also have a 4 jaw that fits, there likely is a problem with the faceplate. You might try removing the pins and cleaning it thoroughly and see if it fit any closer, but before modifying it, definitely check with Matt on his idea for a solution.

This is a very common problem with "generic" backplates and two of my 3 backplates suffered the same ailment. I think some companies purposely cut the tapers undersized. Tony's right though, please do check for all other issues.

FWIW: I ordered a backplate from Enco and mounted a chuck for a friend and he had the same issue -the lathe was not a PM and was 15 years old.

Slingshot, if you decide to clean-up the taper, spend a lot of time centering the setup and DI off the inside of the taper at two different spots. This way, you won't throw the geometry off. -And I'd be willing to bet that Matt will replace it if it's really off the mark.

EDIT: Oh, the prototype shop lathe at work has D1-5 spindle and it's pretty old. One of the backplates had the same issue but the prior operators didn't know enough to fix it. Anyhow, I figured this was a common problem with plates...

Yes check it for burrs or anything, how close does it get?

I can swap it out for you if thats easier, no problem. Or its easy enough to clean that up, either way, no problem, just let me know.

Also make sure the camlock pins are not too long, I saw that once too where they were bottoming out.

Matt,

Something I've noticed with a LOT of backplates is the taper/hole is cut very small. I measured the spindle and it's dimensions were absolutely dead-on according to spec. I've had generic backplates from Enco, Shars (and two of the three backplates that came with my PM1236) that were way undersized. If you removed the pins and just placed the plate against the spindle face, you could not get the faces to meet because the tapered hole was too small and impeded the nose-cone from fitting.

I've seen this on many backplates and on two different lathes other than mine.

Ray

Yes check it for burrs or anything, how close does it get?

I can swap it out for you if thats easier, no problem. Or its easy enough to clean that up, either way, no problem, just let me know.

Also make sure the camlock pins are not too long, I saw that once too where they were bottoming out.

Thanks Matt there are no burrs or anything. The tapper is to small as ray stated. I will take care of that in a day or so.no problamo.

thanks
JB

Back