PM-1236T VFD install, HELP

efoleyjr

Registered
Registered
I am about to start installing a TECO L510-202-H1 VFD on the new lathe. I have watched Youtube videos by Clough42 and it looks like a straight forward job but I could use any help available for installing specifically to my lathe. If anybody has put one on the PM-1236T please share your knowledge. I am using 220 VAC single phase as a input voltage and have a factory 2HP 3 phase motor. Thanks

Ed Foley

I know of one other guy in my area that has done this. It may have simple elements and concepts, but it is a very long project that is very intricate. You need to document every part of the decommissioning and draw circuit diagrams for every part of the rewire.

It took my friend a week of full time effort, and not because he's a newbie. He did electrical things professionally and had already converted his mill.

The work isn't hard in the sense that it requires super advanced knowhow, but it is tedious and exacting. He comes here occasionally, and I'll link this thread in an email to see what he has to say.

I did mine and i think i used the same drive, at least it is a teco.
Did not made plan but i used 2 relais pluged in the output of the original relay so that the lathe is operating as it is with its originals controls.
Except that i added a pot for the variable speed
I dont remember how i di my wiring but i know that i did not had to add a lot of wire and 2 relais.
If i remember correctly i could do it easily in 1 day

I did not document it, but i agree that it would be a better practice.

Daniel

I did my mill in about a day after I figured out the programming and some wiring. I followed Clough42's approach only a bit less involved.
The biggest time investment was making a bushing to adapt the drive pulley.
I have forward, reverse and frequency control all mounted on the side of the mill. The VFD is mounted on the wall behind the mill.

Dabbler was referring to my lathe conversion. It was a fun project and I documented it here.

If you search this site for instructions on how to install a VFD on a PM1340GT (which is the identical big brother to the PM1236T lathe but with a bigger motor), you will find lots of information specific to your situation.

please share your knowledge.
I installed on a PM 1440GT and wrote a very complete description of the VFD install. Not the same machine, but the concepts are the same. For the 1236 is a bit smaller and I do not think the electronics will fit in the stand, but can still be kept close to the motor. This is the key in these built as it will keep the VFD and Motor noise minimized. In my install the VFD is in the lathe stand immediately below the motor and so the power wires do not require shielding and the signal wires to the front panel do not use very much. It is here:
VFD conversion using solid state electronic components.
If you have questions about my install please use that thread. I will be happy to try to answer them.

Good luck,
Dave L.

I recommend you go through this entire thread before you commit to the process:

Back