PM 1236 VFD Conversion

Quick update. Pulled the panel off to see how things were wired and also checked to see if the switches on the operating rod were normally open or normally closed. Turns out, everything works perfectly in our favor.

Just so folks know, I'm setting this thing up so the coolant pump, indicator lamp and work lamp all still run off the original wiring. The input power for the VFD will simply be tapped off the power cord coming into the electrical panel box.

So... Here's a pic of the unadulterated font panel switches. Nothing complicated going on. -Don't panic but I've already rewired it to bypass the stop switch and jog switch. Everything else is left alone. I will later give step-by-step instructions on which wires get jumpered and where. The pictures were taken as I went along -just don't have time today to write it all up. -Takes a while to proofread so nobody gets steered wrong.

InitialFrontPanel.jpg

It really is a simple job to do the wiring so I went ahead and did it. For now, I'm just sneaking the two new circuits along some of the outside wiring that leads to the panel box. Later on, I'll find a better way to hide those wires so the front panel can be screwed on tightly again.

ExternalWiring.jpg

There are two switches underneath the gearbox connected to the operating rod. Four wires run from the switches to the panel block which I marked on the right side as B(lack), R(ed), G(ray) and Br(own). In forward mode, Black and Red are closed. In Reverse Black and Gray are closed. In Neutral, Black and Brown are closed. The catch here is that the circuitry expects to see a closed signal when the unit is in neutral so, a jumper is needed on the terminal block between Black and Gray (second picture of the next two). After that, the other wires are used as the FWD and REV signals into the VFD. And for your edification, the left side wires marked B & R are the foot-brake switch. They are normally open and closed when the foot brake is pressed. The cover switch is in plain view (but not photographed yet) so that's an easy wiring job. The 1st pic just shows the wiring block, the second pic shows the jumper to fool everything into thinking it's still connected to the operating rod.

WiringBlock.jpgJumper.jpg

Wanted to do a quick test run to see if the emergency stop still worked along with testing Fwd and Rev. I set things in place (the VFD is on the floor underneath the table and the motor was nearby). Everything worked just fine. The pump and panel light work, E-stop and Fwd/Rev does what it's supposed to. Wires for the jog switch were run but not connected to the VFD. I'm still deciding on how I want it to work although I did figure-out how to program the multi-speed inputs on the VFD.

EverythingWorks.jpg

Again, I will write-up better instructions later on -just want you to know that this wiring job was analyzed and roughed into place in under an hour. This is not a difficult re-work.

More to come but, it's going to take a couple days. -I'm still battling some tough issues at the office these days...

Ray

InitialFrontPanel.jpg ExternalWiring.jpg WiringBlock.jpg Jumper.jpg EverythingWorks.jpg

Here's the final control schematic. -Finally decided to keep jog simple and preserve original functionality. Was thinking of supporting a Fwd and Rev jog but that would mean getting a different Jog switch and using two multi-speed inputs instead of one. -Just not a priority right now.

Enjoy...

Ray

PM 1236 VFD Control Schematic.jpg

PM 1236 VFD Control Schematic.jpg

FWIW... I just capped-off the wiring project and gave it a test spin. It's not the same lathe anymore. It's the Rolls Royce I was searching for and reminds me of the stability of the old LeBlond 16x54 I grew up on. Still have work to do. I suspect the default programming for the power curve is not correct. It's only showing a draw of 1 Amp. I could be wrong though and maybe was looking at the wrong read-out.

I test ran it with new bench and old single phase motor and the heavy bench made a big improvement. The overall smoothness of the 3 Phase blew me away! The bench is not in final position and since the garage floor is unlevel, one of the legs is 1/8" off the floor. Even still, I can't really feel any vibration in the machine at any speed.

-Success!

... Just to let y'all know, this is coming along nicely but, I'm not happy about the power curve from the default settings on the VFD. I'm going to fiddle with that later today and this weekend. All the ramp times are working fine but at some gear settings (higher speed gears) the motor has trouble turning things over and takes too long. Definitely an issue with VFD programming... Gimme some time to noodle this over. Hang in there...

Ray

Duuhhhh! Boy do I feel stupid. Was up till 1AM yesterday wondering why the motor was having troubles coming-up to speed with the lathe in high gear. The manual for the Huanyang VFD is very poorly written so, I read it about 10 more times trying to interpret it and learn all the functions. Checked, double-checked and triple-checked all the register settings and also experimented with making small changes. -Could not find a problem. Laying in bed, thinking about it (2AM now and 6AM wake-up time is all too near). Light bulb goes on! The motor was still wired for 460V and I was feeding it 230.

Taking the motor off in cramped quarters is not fun so, since the wiring was 600V insulation class, I was just going to change the VFD output to 460. Nope, the VFD doesn't support it. Take off the motor, rewire it. That did the trick.

I still haven't programmed the Jog function because the manual is so poorly written but, I think I understand what needs to be done. I have all the registers written down and will post them soon.

Really too bad the instructions are so bad because it seems like this VFD has pretty good functionality -getting to it is next to impossible.

One other thing... The PM 45 belts are hard/tedious to switch between high and low ratio. I think I'll make new sheaves for a flat automobile belt and incorporate a quick release tensioner. -Yet another project on the list.

Anyhow, with the new VFD at 60Hz, the actual chuck RPM are all very close to the stated values. They're running about 8% high (checked with an LED tachometer) but this is expected since the old motor had a lower base RPM. I also discovered that belt slippage varies depending on the gear settings and belt slippage accounts for quite a bit of RPM loss at the chuck -like 5-7%. Mine are properly tightened now and slippage is minimal. -And BTW, sometimes a loose belt is not a bad thing.

Ray

This is one of my near future projects for my lathe. I have too much until Easter, but after that, yes. I may not be using the same control but the process will be about the same.
Pierre

If I may suggest... The VFDs from Automation Direct are quite good. The user manual is slightly better than the Huangyang, their website gives better examples, their phone support is very good and they have built-in rheostats for frequency control. My other two are from A-D and they serve me well. They are about 50% more costly though...

Ray

This is one of my near future projects for my lathe. I have too much until Easter, but after that, yes. I may not be using the same control but the process will be about the same.
Pierre

At the shop, I have setup a few for the work machines, but there it is a larger budget than what I have for myself. I have not made any decision on the unit but I have been to Automations website before. I will keep them in mind.
Pierre

Yes, for running operation, the panel, brake and cover switch should be closed but showing as all open is a valid configuration. There is a minor error that I was hoping no one would pick-up on... The operating rod guarantees mutual exclusivity for the Fwd, Rev and Neut positions so by definition, one of them should be shown as closed. The idea here was to show the wiring connections which was accomplished but, I copy/pasted the switch figures and made a boo-boo... The wiring is correct so no worries there.

BTW: I tested the VFD to see what happens when you assert conflicting signals. It accepts and operates with the first applied signal and ignores anything after. Any time the control circuit is opened, it comes to a stop unless you have braking or tracking enabled in which case, it finishes it's cycle first. This could be over-ridden by employing the stop signal, taking the E-Stop switch out of the series chain and wiring through an inverting switch. -More trouble than it's worth in my opinion. The tracking feature is just not warranted for this kind of application and the braking feature will do it's job and slow down the machine faster than if it came to a coasting stop.

Ray

Just thought that I'd mention that the 3 switches in series on your diagram (panel, brake & cover SW) need to be pictured as normally closed and rather than normally open.

Gary

Back