PM 1228vf-lb

One possibility to consider is also the 1236 with the preferred package (includes the DRO), is at that point is the same cost as the 1228, it is almost twice the weight and also seems to be a decent lathe, I number of people have had problems with the motor and a few other quality issues. I guess they all have their warts. But darkzero has a 1236 and has done some pretty phenomenal work with it. I guess it is the old adage you get what you pay for, but the quality issues are just such a problem these days.
For me at least, the trouble with the 1236 was I do not have access to the wattage required in my apartment garage, and really didn't have the room alongside the car. Otherwise the 1236-class lathes are definitely the better option. The 1228 essentially aspires to be a 1236 as far as its feature set (MT5 bore, MT3 tailstock, change gears, independent lead/feed drive, hardened ways, D1-4 spindle flange, X/Z power feed, BLDC motor) but just uses a slightly smaller casting (in external dimensions at least). I think that's why the cost is so similar.

Thank you everybody for your words of wisdom, I like how quiet the 1228 is vs the 1236. I have got to put a stop to bigger is better somewhere, otherwise I'd be spending my retirement funds in no time.

Back