Pm-1228vf-lb

Everyone is talking about these 1228 lathes but I cannot find any pricing or pics of them on QMT site.
I'd like to see one from different angles, specs and pricing before I actually talk to someone.
In other words, I want to see it in writing before I buy. Anyone on a phone call can say what you want to hear about something but when you actually get it, it is not what they said it was.
Been down that road to many times and return shipping is a pain.
I'm not sure why they haven't updated the website yet, but here's the quote that I got from Matt.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Todd's post about two machines left eight hours after I called, and the fact I had not
received and updated invoice made me nervous. I just called and confirmed my order
had not bee updated (it happens, not upset). The good news is I still got my order in
before they were all spoken for.

It looks like Matt will have almost a full truck just for the Bay area with MSDO, Todd and
myself only being about 20 miles from each other.

Hi guys,
Just talked with Matt and he informed me all 1228 machines in current shipment are spoken for.... with possibly one person may go with the PM1236 instead, he is suppose to call Matt Monday....so if he does I won't have to wait for a couple of moons. I've been reviewing and researching for the past six weeks, looking forward to having a lathe. Been 23 years since I had a Jet 9x20... will be basically starting over again.

Everyone is talking about these 1228 lathes but I cannot find any pricing or pics of them on QMT site.
I'd like to see one from different angles, specs and pricing before I actually talk to someone.
In other words, I want to see it in writing before I buy. Anyone on a phone call can say what you want to hear about something but when you actually get it, it is not what they said it was.
Been down that road to many times and return shipping is a pain.

It would be very surprising to me if PM didn't follow through on specs and quality, given their great reputation on this forum. It's hard to get a good reputation, and Matt seems to have done just that, so I trust they will deliver as they have to many others in the past. Someone posted the main specs of the 1228 in earlier posts of this thread. If it helps, here's part of my invoice from PM for the 1228 lathe...
1228_Invoice.JPG

It would be very surprising to me if PM didn't follow through on specs and quality, given their great reputation on this forum. It's hard to get a good reputation, and Matt seems to have done just that, so I trust they will deliver as they have to many others in the past. Someone posted the main specs of the 1228 in earlier posts of this thread. If it helps, here's part of my invoice from PM for the 1228 lathe...
View attachment 103599
I'm getting the 5C chuck as well along with the DRO. Are you getting the stand or are you fabricating something? I might end up getting a toolbox

I'm getting the 5C chuck as well along with the DRO. Are you getting the stand or are you fabricating something? I might end up getting a toolbox
I'm not getting the stand. Probably either a box or maybe a heavy duty workbench. Might build another workbench like my old one out of 2x4 on edge, glued/bolted then planed. Super heavy duty butcher block style. Won't be perfectly flat though so might have issues. Jury is still out on what to do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not getting the stand. Probably either a box or maybe a heavy duty workbench. Might build another workbench like my old one out of 2x4 on edge, glued/bolted then planed. Super heavy duty butcher block style. Won't be perfectly flat though so might have issues. Jury is still out on what to do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just noticed your from Aptos. I went to high school down there. Really nice area, but hard to find work in my field (medical device).

Just noticed your from Aptos. I went to high school down there. Really nice area, but hard to find work in my field (medical device).
I'm actually a consultant doing some medical device development, amongst other things. What a coincidence! Yeah, there isn't much here in terms of employers for medical devices. I'm just lucky enough to keep myself busy around here. It isn't easy though!

FWIW... I ended up getting a Gladiator 8' maple workbench as the home for my new 1228 lathe. Home Depot has a sale going, so I pulled the trigger. Should be nice!
I will probably add a support leg under the lathe's headstock to keep the table from sagging in the middle. Supposedly, the bench is rated for 3000 pounds, but I imagine ~500 pounds sitting there will induce some bow in the table top over time. The support leg should help alleviate the sag.

FWIW... I ended up getting a Gladiator 8' maple workbench as the home for my new 1228 lathe. Home Depot has a sale going, so I pulled the trigger. Should be nice!
I will probably add a support leg under the lathe's headstock to keep the table from sagging in the middle. Supposedly, the bench is rated for 3000 pounds, but I imagine ~500 pounds sitting there will induce some bow in the table top over time. The support leg should help alleviate the sag.
That sounds like it will work out well. I ended up going with the optional stand for now. I might make something else later, but too busy to design something now.

Back