Pm-1228 Replacement V Belt?

sierrasmith71

Registered
Registered
I KNOW I read a posting from someone that found a replacement V belt for the PM -1228 ( searched everywhere --of course not in the place where it is located-- and can not find it!). Mine is on a brand new machine with very low hours (just break in) and is shedding LOTS of black dust and at this rate it will soon disappear, so I better order a new one.

Does any one know where to find a source?

Thanks in advance

David G.

I would look for what it is rubbing on first .... pop the one off that's on it and go match it. The manual is a bit vague to say the least, has a picture pn# 970, part list stops at 950 WTF lol

That lathe has a 3 year warranty on it, i think Matt could give the size.. Not having wear problems with mine, no dusting under the cover.
Greg

Sounds like the same crappy belt type that came on my PM1340. Mine did the same thing, got belt dust all over making a horrible mess.

I tried a few different brands of v belt but was never really happy with them. I finally ended up replacing the belt on my lathe with a Power Twist link belt. Power Twist Link Belt
I just put the link up for a reference. These belts have been working very well for me.

Sounds like the same crappy belt type that came on my PM1340. Mine did the same thing, got belt dust all over making a horrible mess.

I tried a few different brands of v belt but was never really happy with them. I finally ended up replacing the belt on my lathe with a Power Twist link belt. Power Twist Link Belt
I just put the link up for a reference. These belts have been working very well for me.

I looked very carefully and the pulleys are in line and there is nothing rubbing. I checked the tightness , half inch deflection on the longest span and I am just able to rotate the belt 90 degrees....

Mine measure to be 3/8" wide and EBay vendors want about $10.00 a foot for 3/8" link belts, Wow....But I guess you get what you pay for with these belts.
Thanks for the heads up.

Bet if you took the belt off & carried it to one of the old school auto parts stores in your area they could match it up for you. If you go to one of the new cookie cutter stores they'll want to know if your lathe is 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I experienced a similar situation on my PM12x36. Black stuff everywhere + vibration/shaking. I checked the pulley alignment, & it was just slightly off, so I fixed that. The black stuff continued to occur. Went to NAPA & obtained 2 Gates (green) belts. Obviously no more black; but, no green either. I still experienced the vibration/shake, so I removed one of the two belts. BETTER!! Still not quite to my liking, so I next ordered enough of the link belting (red) & constructed one belt. MUCH BETTER!!! No red flakes, either.
I ordered the belting from Amazon. Sold by Peachtree Woodworking--7 feet was $8.99. Sorry, I do not have a link.

Jerry in Delaware

+1 on what Lonnie and Muskt said about the link belts. I just got my PM 1340 up and running so I can't comment with experience on this particular machine. However, I have been running the power twist link belts on all of my machines including a prior lathe, 3 bandsaws and a milling machine for approximately 10 years with great results. They run smooth and don't take a set like the rubber belts do. I never even gave the stock belt on my 1340 a chance. Without hesitation I paid the $30+ for the 3' of belting needed and scrapped the original belt. I recently saw some link belt that looks exactly like the fenner power twist belts at harbor freight at half the price of the power twist. Unfortunately they are not the right width and profile needed for the 1340.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I too have it on many machines and the belts perform flawlessly. However those machines do not reverse direction of the drives.

The Fenner Powertwist belts are directional. Instructions to that effect are inside the sleeve that they come packaged in and also on their instructional videos on their website. Therefore I would not use it on a metal lathe that reverses.

http://www.fennerdrives.com/videos/?=

I do not like the idea of those belts, pulley wear, vibration. Never ever have had a problem with rubber. You name it from cars too compressors, including attic fans........ never ever. If the equipment is shredding belts, the belt is rubbing, or some surface it is passing over has a problem with the finish or in alignment.

Greg

Yes I am aware of the directional nature of the link belts. However, from a practical perspective I have never experienced any negative consequences from using one. As previously mentioned, I have used one on my milling machine for at least 10 years. Granted the time used in reverse is minimal about like what I would expect the use to be with a lathe. With that said I have used it in reverse for backing out after power tapping and drilling with left twist drill bits on many occasions. The belt still performs as it did when new 10 plus years ago. Previous to seeing and responding to this thread I ran my new pm1340gt in reverse at all speeds yesterday for at least ten minutes without a thought until reading this thread. So I went out this am and looked at the belt. I didn't see anything that looked unusual nor did I experience any noise or vibration when running it last night. I looked at the belt on my mill and the belt and pulleys looked good too.

One might ask what is the risk of running one of these belts in reverse. In an attempt to answer that question I called Fenner Drives this am to ask. Indeed they do recommend utilizing these belts in applications where the primary use is in one direction. However, the representative I spoke with had no issues with an application such as on a mill or lathe whereas a small percentage of use is in reverse. He mentioned the exception to this is when the belt is used in a clutching application. I asked what negative consequence could come from running in reverse. His response was possible faster wear of the belt. From that perspective the ten year old belt on my mill is still in great shape. If I have to replace it in ten more years, so be it.

I have personally experienced issues with heavy rubber belts taking a set on some of my less used wood working equipment. I had a jet band saw that would shake like a leaf for a while until the the belt warmed up and the set wore out.

Granted, in my experience, there is nothing wrong with rubber other than the set issue mention with a solid rubber v belt. I think a cogged rubber belt in this application is a solid choice and would likely run smoother and be less likely to take a set if not used on a regular basis. Running in reverse wouldn't be an issue with one either. If I thought I would be doing a lot of cutting in reverse I would have chosen a cogged rubber belt for my mill and lathe.

Please keep in mind these are my personal opinions based on actual usage within the limited applications described above. I don't want or mean to be argumentative, I just want to make sure I have adequately described my use for others to make their own judgements and decisions. YMMV.

Back