PM 1228 left hand threading

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have not done, or needed to do this, but watching Tubalcain do a left hand thread with CCW chuck rotation, and the power feed going away, toward the tail stock. Does the 1228 do that? I can't seem to remember that being possible. I hope this isn't a :rolleyes: moment:grin:

The 1127 does, so I can't see why the 1228 wouldn't. I do it with an upside down tool to thread away from the chuck.

20200822_213228.jpg
Screenshot_20200822-213020.jpg

The 1236 does also.

Thanks will, I have to look at it a bit to figure it out. I was pretty sure it wasn't push a button, or twist a lever....

Oh, I see you have to shift the idler cluster to reverse the lead screw. Yeah, on the 1236 it’s just move the lever.
Thanks Will

Your lucky.... :)

Reactions: Z2V
At least you don’t have to change any gears, just shift the idler from left to right. Shouldn’t take a minute or two, how often do you need to cut left hand threads? I have done it to mess with coworkers heads with taps when I was working but really only done it on the lathe just to do it. :laughing:

Never, but it may come in handy figuring it out.

Reactions: Z2V
Quick funny story. I’m working side by side with my apprentice taping dozens of 3/8” holes with hand taps. I went to the tool crib at the start of the shift to get fresh taps and found a left hand 3/8 tap so I grabbed it. I gave the LH to my
apprentice and kept the right hand for myself. We start drilling and tapping holes and he couldn’t get his tap to start for some reason. I went to his holes and tapped a hole. He would go to a hole I drilled and couldn’t tap it. I would come behind him on the same hole and tap it. He got so frustrated, HE QUIT AND WALKED OFF THE JOB. I didn’t like him anyway, mission accomplished. Fun times

Back