PM-1130V owners tell me about the lathe,

tweinke

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Good bad or ugly I would like to hear your comments. This lathe fits my space perfectly. I like the VFD variable speed because of being somewhat future-proof. Changing gears for threading is not a concern. One thing that seems more substantial vs the 1228 is the compound. These thoughts have me very interested. Weight vs a 1236 is a consideration because it may need to be moved occasionally.

Well, that's interesting that no one here has one or is willing to comment. I am not complaining though. I set a budget and am shooting for the best bang for my buck staying within that budget. Knowing I will have to move the lathe and the fact I'm not getting any younger this size range fits well. I seriously was going the 1228 route but, in my mind, the 1130 fits my work envelope nicely. An ELS conversion should make for a really nice machine. Knowing that Matt's customer service is excellent helps too. The order was placed the other day, so sometime soon after it arrives, I will give my impressions good or not so good. Wish my luck!

Good luck, IIRC the 1228 had more of the bigger lathe options than the 1130. I never ran out of chuck size, but did run short of bed length.

@tweinke - I have an Weiss 1127 which is at least a cousin of the PM 1130. It appears that the 1130 is an updated version of the 1127 lathe. I have found it to be very reliable and also simple to run for a beginner. I would have loved to get a PM lathe but this one came up reasonable and was available when everything was back ordered. The features that come stock definitely have a high value proposition including the QCTP, D1-4 camlock chuck, VFD motor, power cross feed, power feed, left hand threading and 1.5" spindle bore.

It's odd that the PM 1130 and 1228 lathes don't include 4 jaw chucks however the 1127 does come with it. I hope it comes in fast and that it is everything you hope it to be. I look forward to you sharing your pics and your experiences with the lathe. Good luck!

ive103, Thank you for the reply. I know on here that the 1228 is the go to machine after spending a lot of time on the forum but I sure do think that the 1130 is as nice excepting the lack of a quick change gearbox. I also feel more comfortable with the VFD/ 3phase motor due to my fear of not being able to easily get parts after a long time even though the BLDC motor would have more low speed torque. I plan on doing an ELS in the future so the QCGB is really not an issue. I also like that the crossslide and compound have tapered gibs. Either machine would fit the work envelope I seem to work in also. I certainly do not consider myself to be any more than a beginner and will never be an expert but this place has enough knowledge and just plain good folks to help when I need it.

Well, that's interesting that no one here has one or is willing to comment. I am not complaining though. I set a budget and am shooting for the best bang for my buck staying within that budget. Knowing I will have to move the lathe and the fact I'm not getting any younger this size range fits well. I seriously was going the 1228 route but, in my mind, the 1130 fits my work envelope nicely. An ELS conversion should make for a really nice machine. Knowing that Matt's customer service is excellent helps too. The order was placed the other day, so sometime soon after it arrives, I will give my impressions good or not so good. Wish my luck!
I was looking at that lathe but chose the PM1236....

12x36 seems to be the biggest small lathe, or smallest big lathe.

I like mine. It's old and belt driven but seems about the perfect size.

John

Back