PM-1030V Slow to Get Going

The 728 mill power stays on through forward/stop/reverse. It better, how else would I do tapping?

It seems to me like the setup on your lathe is odd, I understand when shutting power off (or when power is interrupted) and restarting that the speed knob needs to be reset to zero for safety, but when just going from forward to stop to whatever it should not be the same as a power cycle. In my opinion that seems like a bug.

That’s why I started this thread!

I didn’t mention it earlier, but I did additionally ask PM about the forward/reverse situation in the same email, and they very clearly told me that the aforementioned behavior is normal, and thus my machine is behaving as it should.

My PM-25MV will go from forward to reverse and vice versa without losing power, as well.

It will be interesting to see how power tapping goes in the PM-1030V, if it can be done. I might have to tap manually or cut threads.

Motor controllers often have jumpers that determine behaviors like this. It might be possible to change it, but fiddling with it might void the warranty.

PM Tech Help says "When starting the lathe, you have to have the speed knob all the way down...Thats how its made, that is correct."

I tested this. I have the low gear belt on, so my lowest RPM is 50. The lathe works just like Tech Help says: if the knob is all the way down (to 50 RPM), the machine starts right up; I can extend this up to 102 RPM.

However, at speeds as low as 126 RPM, the chuck will not start rotating until the operator turns down the knob almost all the way.
That does not sound right... I have had mine since 2016, so it is possible that they may have changed it since then. With my machine, you can set the speed, then stop it, do something (like change a tool, measure workpiece, etc), then hit start and it runs back up to the same speed it was set to.

This seems to me to be a safety feature. This is an entry level lathe, so it is more likely that a novice will start the lathe at a higher speed with something in the way of the chuck.
I suppose it could be a safety feature, I just don't see the added benefit outweighing the drawback. My old lathe had the power switch and speed control combined (Ie turn it all the way down and then some and it clicks off) and one of the first things I noticed was how much nicer it was not needing to set the speed each time I stopped the spindle.

Also, @qualitymachinetools, if it is true that the machines come like this now, you should add that to the manual or the spec sheet. If I had purchased my machine today and it showed up like that, I would not be pleased, and if I had known about it ahead of time, I likely would have looked elsewhere.

Well, I will have to get used to it because this is the lathe that I have.

It would be nice if there was a way for the user to change the preferred behavior.

Last edited:
I also received my PM10/30 a few weeks and it behaves in the same manor. I have been thinking it a bit annoying and wondering if there is a malfunction. I guess I will just have to get used to it unless some figures out a work around.

I also received my PM10/30 a few weeks and it behaves in the same manor. I have been thinking it a bit annoying and wondering if there is a malfunction. I guess I will just have to get used to it unless some figures out a work around.

After having it confirmed that my machine is operating as normal, I moved forward and got used to it.

Before I turn off the machine, I turn down the RPM almost all the way. When I am ready to start work again, I turn on the power and then increase the knob to my desired RPM.

Probably not the world’s fastest lathe to get going, but I accept this delay because I have to.

If it is safe to do so, I will leave the chuck spinning at the very low RPM (about 50) and leave the power on while I change a cutting tool or perform some other task a safe distance from the chuck.

I got used to this almost immediately. I work on this lathe all the time, and the work is seamless.

Is it just me, or is working on a lathe the most fun thing ever? The lathe is hands down my favorite tool in the shop. My second favorite is the stick welder, and my third favorite is the oxyacetylene setup for gas welding and brazing.

Back