PM 1030V side cover safety switch

I agree with @pontiac428. Usually, these are set up with various safety or limit switches all in series. So if any of them go open circuit the machine shuts down. So you can wire in parallel to defeat it, but it means you have to access the wires and then have dangling wires/parts or do more work. I also agree that it is sometimes nice to be able to defeat the interlock. I have been thinking about making the fingered part to fit in to the one on my lathe.

But, I saw a little kid get is shirt sleeve caught in a motor belt of his father's machine and it pulled him right in ... so that the flesh of his arm was caught up. Not nice to see. Fortunately, he was only bruised up and not cut up, but still hurt and very scared. So work with a cover! It is not always just yourself that you have to look out for. Also, it is not always an issue of getting caught in the gears etc. Sometimes debris, such as grease or belt fragments, flies off and can get into unprotected eyes .... even of shop visitors.

I would never leave the cover off- except when chnging/setting gears. So just leaving the clip in may be fine for me.
I am in the process of gathering everything to convert to the Clough42 ELS, so won’t likely be taking the cover off very often once finished. But that will all take some time to do.

Hi @Lotus54

Installing a ELS sounds like fun, but work. I do not know what lathe you have, but did you see my Excel workbook which generates all of the possible thread and approximations to the desired TPI values. It is set up so that you can copy a sheet from one of the lathes that I previously set up and modify it for almost any other lathe. Then run a macro and it will generate a table with all of the possible combinations of external gears and gear box settings. This pretty much eliminates the need for an ELS as long as you are still willing to mechanically change the gears around!

Improved Version: TPI, Feeds, X-Feeds: Generalized Lathe TPI Excel file: "TPI_ManyLathesRev1 N502_1630"

Dave L.

I removed all the safety switches and I have ran it with the cover off and it's safe you really need to fall into it when it's running to het hurt.

Ones you do the ELS this will be a thing of your past..

Back