PM 1030V side cover safety switch

Lotus54

Registered
Registered
I did a search, but could not find it.
The safety switch on the side cover is working fine. BUT when I have to change gears, it certainly is a LOT easier to set the backlash for nice and quiet being able to run it with the cover off.
I took the ‘activator’ off and put it in the switch to set it up (after doing it initially resulted in noisey operation).

I would just like something to put in when I’m adjusting- are they avaliable? I could make something, but a lot of work if I can just get one.

you may be able to make something by copying the shape of what's on there now. The trick is that it needs those two fingers to properly activate the switch. To keep you from just sticking a screwdriver or something in there I guess.

thanks.
I was hoping I could just buy something rather than spend the time making it. I have enough other projects going on. But perhaps that is not realistic? I did look on the PM site, but the ’parts catalog’ was empty.

That is a good idea. I will investigate the wiring and see what it would take. I speculate it is just a two-wire switch, so just breaking one side with a toggle would do it.
Thanks

I would think the switch should tie the 2 wires together to fool the lathe controls. Hard to say without schematics.

Not sure why you can't simply unbolt the male part (the fork thingy) from the cover and plug it into the switch permanently. This is what I did on my 1130v (maybe these models are different?) and allows me to run the lathe without the cover; I only did this because I was tired of having to line up the fork with the switch and figured it would fail eventually.
I secured mine with a piece of Gorilla tape just in case it worked it's way out of the switch (very unlikely).

Yes, i certainly could. I sort of liked having it- but in reality, I think no real need for the extra safety, i can just make sure cover is on unless im adjusting things.

thanks.

Just to confirm. It's just two wires that make a circuit when the cover is in place.

Machine interlocks are a continuity loop, all switches are closed in the ready state. Break the loop, the contactor opens. If you put a toggle switch with a pole on each wire coming out of the plunger switch so that it is shorted by the toggle (parallel), it will act as a manual defeat for that interlock component. If you are not a company of 12 employees or more, then the OSHA machine guarding standard does not apply to you.

Back