Pls. remember "There's no such thing as a dumb question"

Chip Monkey

Registered
Registered
Fellow Chipmakers,

I feel like a dummy, but, on my recent model PM25MV is there any secret to removing the black composite cap in the Belt Guard (in line w/the Spindle above collet?) I mean without breaking? I could make another, but hoping if I chant the right words it'll shrink for a second?

Namaste

Tap it from the side with a soft faced hammer. It's in there quite good. I've never put mine back on after first removing it.

Tap it from the side with a soft faced hammer. It's in there quite good. I've never put mine back on after first removing it.
Same here. I don't even remember how it came off, probably had to tap it to break the paint seal, but the cover is sitting in a cabinet, since it needs to be off to change the belts. Can't see a good reason to reinstall it.

Had to remove the chip guard as well, because I couldn't mill anything with it in place. Since that time, if I need to reduce chip throw in my direction, I bolt a piece of lexan to the front of my vise. Works fine, and is easily removed. The bolts are only finger tight so no wrenches are involved.

It took a few seconds to understand what you were asking. Wack that baby with a hemmer and let it fly. It needs to stay off for access to the draw-bar. Item 2. The top blue motor enclosure is attached with 4 small screws. Back them out and put a tiny drop of locktite or CA and reinstall so the cover easily slide off and on. You will have to remove the cover to change the belt or wedge the pulley. You can just leave the screws out if you wish. The cover isn't going anywhere.
On the chip guard. Get some 19mm N52 magnets from Ebay. Get a piece of 1/4" plexiglass and drill 3 or 4 3/4" holes with a spade bit. Just a ltlle deeper then thickness of magnet. Use a some masking tape and make a nice border around the holes. install the magnets and fill with epoxy and level off with masking tape. When chips stick to the surface, a paint brush will clean off. I used to bolt mine to back of Kurt vice until I ran it into the head during milling and broke it. Now it gives and just falls off if it runs into interference. I have several difference sizes made up to handle table heights.

Back