Please talk me into (or out of) CNC machining

To the OP, here is how I've talked myself out of CNC: I'm not in business and can't justify the expense. I'm not retired yet, so don't have a lot of time to mess around with learning a whole new system. Also, for now at least, I actually enjoy the doing. Someday, I want to make wooden gear clocks, and if the end result is CNC-produced gears, why not just buy a CNC-produced clock kit and save $$$$?

It comes down to answering the question: Do you enjoy the making of the part more than the end result? Answer that and you're set. That said, my thinking is subject to change at any time.

My advice is make the room. Surely there is something you haven't used in 5 years that can be rehomed.
I want to say skip the small desktop machines unless you are making model steam engine parts.
Step up a little bit.
In no particular order. Tormach, Automate, Syil should have something that fits your needs.
For conversions I feel the best overall control is the Centroid Acorn series.

My advice is make the room. Surely there is something you haven't used in 5 years that can be rehomed.

I wish there was something I could get rid of that hasn't been used for5 years. Actually, 5 years ago I had two 2400 sqft buildings, a Gorton MasterMill 1-22, a forklift, a 10,000 lb automotive hoist, and a bunch more stuff that I no longer have. My shop lives in a 10' X 12' section of garage that I share with my wife and moms cars and their stored stuff. I've whittled my offsite storage down to 400 sqft, and need to get rid of most of that this year. I really do understand not going with something that has a too small envelope and not enough power to really work well. If I tried really hard I could maybe come up with a 4' X 5' area to put a CNC, does anyone want to trade one for a bunch of old racing go-kart stuff? :)

Cheers,

John

You did say "old" concerning the go karts. If it still has some value is it time to make a super deal to the next generation?
While they may have some sentimental value they are not earning their keep anymore.

You did say "old" concerning the go karts. If it still has some value is it time to make a super deal to the next generation?
While they may have some sentimental value they are not earning their keep anymore.

Believe me, I have tried.

The karting hobby is not very strong these days, tracks have closed down and lots of people just don't want to take the time to pursue the hobby. I actually gave most of what I had to a young guy a while back but he went and got himself a third DUI and I had to pick up my stuff from his families farm. Very disappointing....

The stuff I have that is truly old will get sold to collectors. The other stuff I will keep trying to get something local going on up here in northern Michigan. Problem is the nearest track is a 3 1/2 hour drive. I have literally a ton of parts, a jig for welding frames and a great frame design that takes all inch standard hardware.

It's not a matter of sentimental value, it's all from a business I closed years ago. I scrapped most of the "junk" parts already and will have to do the same with the "good" stuff soon if I can't make a deal with someone. The guy who owns the place where it's stored has a kid about the right age to get started and I gave him the two chassis I used for my daughter and her friends back in Arizona. We might be able to get a grassroots thing going here if he has the time and inclination but there are so many other things going on that are easier.

Wish me luck:)

john

Good luck. If you can pull it off and get some space you won't regret stepping up beyond a toy bench top machine.

Just my 2 cents. I spent 10K for a used Brother Tc-225 and a Hitachi Seiki HT-25 delivered and placed. Spent an Additional 500 on a phase converter. Did my own wire work. The Brother was my failure. It has a conversational control that doesn't work with my cad/cam post processor. I have a few hobby jobs that have actually paid for the equipment. But not enough work to be able to quit my day job. Now I'm a slave to my own hobby. Lol. But as I mentioned with the Brother. If you buy used. Make sure it is a G-code machine. Way easier to program. No matter the material.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Now I'm a slave to my own hobby.
Hobby machinists should read and understand your post, John. My dad told me regularly to never turn a hobby into a job, because it will then cease to be a hobby. I have strictly followed his advice, and have had a lot of fun in life, while letting my reliable day jobs pay the bills. Now I am retired, and I can play all I want, very little encroaches on the fun of just living. The other rule is that hobbies should only use SPARE money...

My dad told me regularly to never turn a hobby into a job, because it will then cease to be a hobby.

Conversely, there's the line about "if you enjoy what you do, you'll never work a day in your life."

There are plenty of hobbies out there if commercial success in one starts to drain the fun from it.

My goal is simply to only take jobs I find fun and to try to pay for the shop 100% with shop income. I never want to make it my job, and I'd prefer to not spend a lot of my career money on the hobby.

Back