Please help me choose a motor & VFD for a vintage Rivett lathe

The below paragraph is from the Lathes UK site it gives some information about the dirve and pulley setup that was with that lathe originally. It speaks of a 900/1800 rpm 2 speed motor driveing a gear box with 8 speeds for 150 to 3500. without the gearbox it appears likely that you would need to setup something like the under bench Atlas lathes us. I run my 12" atls with a 2 HP treadmill motor without any issues and get excellent speed control form about 60 rpm to 3000 The treadmill motor is 2 hp at 4000 so it would be = to about a 3/4 hp normal AC motor at 1800.

I think you will need to address the gearbox issue in some form as direct driving the lathe isn't going to work very well

Art B

http://www.lathes.co.uk/rivett/page7.html

Stands and Drive System
A choice of two stands was offered: a compact 45" x 24" all-welded heavy steel-plate cabinet with a collet and tool drawer and locking storage cupboard, or a traditional open-type with cast-iron legs braced by steel tie rods and a large, 60" x 26" by 2.25-inch thick 5-ply laminated wooden top with side and backboards. The open stand was intended for laboratory and toolroom use - where it was necessary to mount the auxiliary motor unit and "overhead" to power high-speed grinding and milling spindles, or if space was needed for tools, small parts and sub-assembles to be laid out and a trail fit of components made.
Both stands used an identical drive system with a 2-speed 900/1800 r.p.m. motor (though some single-speed fittings have also been found) fitted with a 2-step V-pulley that drove to a matching pulley mounted on the rear of two shafts that extended from a simple clutch-gearbox unit bolted to the underside of the bench. Fitted to the output side of the rear shaft were high and low-speed pulleys that drove pulleys on the front shaft that were free to turn until locked by a sliding dog clutch. Final drive to the spindle was by twin V-belts, assembled as a specially-matched pair. In order to allow a quick release of belt tension for speed changes the motor was mounted on a hinged plate controlled by a lever hinged on a bracket bolted to the front face of the stand's lower shelf. By this (relatively complex) means the operator could juggle belt and clutch lever positions to give eight spindle speeds that spanned a very useful 150 to 3500 r.p.m. To promote smooth, vibration-free running, all rotating parts were dynamically balanced and ran in self-aligning ball races. Usefully, in addition to individual screw adjustment for each belt's tension, all could be changed without any dismantling being necessary.
Electrical control was simplified to a single switch and pilot light (to indicate current on or off) mounted low down on the front face of the headstock.The lever was turned to the right for high and low forward speeds and to the left for low and high in reverse - with, in each case, intermediate stop positions between every setting. Sensibly, the makers constructed the switch handle if the form of a large T, so enabling an oily hand to obtain a secure

Back