Please Explain How A Threading Dial Works.

Listen, your gonna get a lot mumbly jumbly from the eggheads here. As a newb here myself, I can explain this much easier.... there is this this troll that lives under the apron....engage the half nut, it pokes him in the @ss. Disengage and it pokes him in the eye. After that I'm a bit hazy as well....

When I first got my lathe and attempted threading I was using the reversing gears to move the carriage back between cutting passes (because I didn’t have a thread dial and knew I should not disengage the split nut). Things didn’t work out well sometimes. Turns out disengaging ANY part of the gear train will cause the lathe to ruin the threads - who knew! (Insert eye roll emoji here). Once I started threading by simply reversing the motor between passes (after brining the tool away from the work) everything worked fine (slow but fine). At that time I did t think I needed a thread dial because I was not doing production work and the extra time was not a big deal. I recently got and used a thread dial for the first time and have to admit, it works pretty nicely. Threading is much more enjoyable.

Rick

Back