Pipe Welding on Steel

Today I ran 1/8” 7018 uphill at 105-120A on a stationary 8” pipe. Previously, I had been working at a very advantageous angle. Today, half of the work was overhead, and it was just nasty.

9 o’clock to 3 o’clock (over the top) is almost no problem, but none of the work at the bottom 180° went as planned. The overhead is going to take a LOT of practice. Tomorrow I will try to get to the point where I can bear to post some pictures of what can only be described as a crime scene.

I know that the bottom half is technically vertical up, but it sure plays out like overhead.

Last edited:
I feel your pain, overhead is very hard and can be discouraging. 12:00 to 3:00 is downhill, stop at 12:00 and start uphill on the other side and have your tie in at 12:00. You probably don't want to hear that but . . .

Overhead is a balancing act between amperage and speed. Just be sure to ware leathers for the falling slag. Practice, practice, practice.
I've never had a problem with overhead, vertical is my nemesis.

Update:

This project of practicing pipe welding is the main thing that I do nowadays. I make the coupons in 4, 6, 8 & 10”, SMAW with 6010 & 7018, & then back to the lathe to start the process all over again.

It is a LOT of arc time while at the welding table. I love arc time.

The only things that I have learned since I made my last post here is:

(1) I need to wear a welding cap. When I was doing horizontal with the 6010, I was getting a shower of sparks on my big bald spot.

(2) I need to wear a long sleeve shirt under my welding jacket. Again, a shower of sparks.

(3) I have been running a lot a horizontal because I hurt my neck a little by sleeping on it wrong. I don’t have issues with horizontal.

(4) I have been doing most everything with 3/32” 6010 at 60A, 65% DIG because I have at least 35 pounds of this particular stick electrode, and I am nearly running out of 7018 & 7018AC. Sort of weird to do hot, fill & cap passes with 6010, but I need to get rid of these electrodes.

Back