1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Pipe center DIY

Discussion in 'MACHINE ACCESSORIES (Tables, Vises, Indexers)' started by cascao, Sep 11, 2017.

1. cascao

cascao Active User Active Member

City:
    Belo Horizonte
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

[​IMG]

Had a round 5" laminated steel laying around and decided to make a pipe center....

For the axle, used a drill chuck arbor MT02 to JT4. Machined Jacobs taper to 25mm the internal diameter of my bearing.

The bearing used is from a car front wheel. It's a double row angular contact ball bearing. It can handle axial and radial loads, It's preloaded (no free play), has good seal and it is cheap. The one I used has 25mm internal diameter, 55mm external and 45mm long.

[​IMG]

Machined the 5" steel with 4 jaw chuck since this is the biggest I have. First back side was made with bearing case. Pressed bearing and axle. So, I machined most of the taper (35ยบ).

[​IMG]

***Now comes the odd part***
    For the two finishing pass, I mounted the pipe center in tailstock and driven it by a threaded bar (see pics) This way I ensured best concentricity.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

shadab, jbolt, royesses and 11 others like this.
  2. mmcmdl

mmcmdl H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Fallston
    State:
    Maryland

-Return to Top-

:finger wag:Nice work but I hope you're not wearing those gloves while operating that lathe ! My buddy down the steel mill got a chip caught in his glove , got pulled into the chuck and was killed . .

shadab likes this.
  3. cascao

City:
    Belo Horizonte
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

:eek: Nooo, only to remove pipe center, it was hot!

4. cascao

City:
    Belo Horizonte
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

Threaded bar screw into pipe center. This hole can be used to remove the axle in future.
    The photo doen't show but during tailstock turning, there was a nut holding the threaded bar in the pipe center. Otherwise the bar will screw into pipe center.

shadab likes this.