1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Pimped My HF 20 Ton Shop Press

Discussion in 'DRILL PRESSES & SHOP PRESSES' started by ndnchf, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Ironken

Ironken United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Kansas City
    State:
    Missouri

-Return to Top-

I really like that ebay brake that you linked! Lightyears better than the Swag non finger brakes. The only trade off is capacity as far as length. The Swag is 19" and the one you linked is 12". Personally, had I found the ebay brake before the Swag, the ebay jobbie would be the winner. I also have a Connecticut 24" box and pan brake so....I am covered on wider, light sheet metal which would make that 12" brake perfect for me. I'm not too sure my Swag won't find its way into the scrap bin and the ebay brake find a new home in my shop.

Don't get me wrong, Troy at Swag is very good about customer service and they have some great stuff.

Just throwin' this out there....if you were inclined to build your own, I would be happy to give you the dimensions and tube and bar sizes, etc.

2. ndnchf

ndnchf United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Fredericksburg
    State:
    Virginia

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the offer. But for the time, effort and money, I think I'll go with the one in the link.

3. Ironken

City:
    Kansas City
    State:
    Missouri

-Return to Top-

I don't blame you. I think you'll be happy with it.

4. sanddan

sanddan Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Damascus
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

I made a similar brake for my press and like the ebay one. Specifically the round bars for air bending and the insert with V groove for bending thinner material. I started with a design like Swag and changed to the ebay design as it worked better for thick material (using the round bars) and allows you to make different inserts for specific jobs. You could buy the materials for the ebay version for under $50 (I bet) but you would still have the labor to build.

5. BearsDown

BearsDown United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Stockbridge
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

6. BearsDown

City:
    Stockbridge
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

I would be interested in the dimensions for that eBay press brake. It looks like just what I want.

brino likes this.
  7. Ironken

City:
    Kansas City
    State:
    Missouri

-Return to Top-

I only have the dimensions for the Swag not the Ebay brake.

8. BearsDown

City:
    Stockbridge
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

Now that I think about it, this would be my only brake and the 19" capacity would suit me better. I'm thinking I have most of the material for one but it would be nice to know the dimensions of the SWAG before I start my own. If you have time, that is.

9. Ironken

City:
    Kansas City
    State:
    Missouri

-Return to Top-

O.K. Look for the dimensions tomorrow.

10. Ironken

City:
    Kansas City
    State:
    Missouri

-Return to Top-

Here goes....

Punch: 3/4 x 4 x 19 1/2 HRS, 60 deg included angle bevel with a 3/32 flat
    Angle (die): 1 1/2 x 1/4 x 19 1/4 (you will need to fab up a plate to weld the angle to and to install the vertical guide rods)
    Shaft Collar: 2 1/2 od x 1.690 id
    Springs (2): 3 3/4 x 1 3/16od x 15/16id
    Guide Rods (2): 7/8 x 6 3/4 1018
    Guide Tubes (2): 1 3/8 x .188 DOM 3 1/4 long

Please verify ALL of these dimensions first! Especially fitment of the guide rods and tubes. Hope this gets ya started. I did not include the stop for repeatable bends....... Screenshot_2017-02-02-18-27-52.png

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 7:56 PM
    brino and firestopper like this.
  11. BearsDown

City:
    Stockbridge
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

Thanks so much. I was trying to gauge the sizes from the pics and I missed several. I thought that punch was 1" stock and the angle was 45.

12. Ironken

City:
    Kansas City
    State:
    Missouri

-Return to Top-

You're very welcome! If you need any more measurements....just let me know. I have 3/4 x 8 bar stock under my brake that is the width of my press. Before I got lazy and got the Swag, I was going to use the bar stock as the base. I was going to stand the die (angle) up on its "spine" and use 1/4 x 1 bar stood on its edge to support the angle, then bore the 3/4 x 8 for the guide rods, insert them into the holes maybe 1/8 and rosette weld them in from the bottom.

13. Grandpop

Grandpop United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

I added a fast pump jack from Northern tool to my HF 20 ton press. Takes about 6 strokes per inch of travel. Like it a lot better than the 40 pumps per inch of the original HF Jack.

14. BFHammer

BFHammer United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Chattanooga
    State:
    Tennessee

-Return to Top-

Like the press!

I recently did the same thing. Picked up the press last month on a coupon sale on Saturday, went back on Sunday and used the coupon on the air over hydraulic jack. When I picked up the press I specifically had them find a 60603 model since I had seen the new design and I especially like the steel plates as opposed to the prior cast iron plates.

A couple of weeks ago I got the SWAG fingerbrake kit. I went with the regular kit as opposed to the heavy duty as I think it will be more versatile for my needs. I MIGed it and did have to be careful welding the angle iron into the bottom plate - I was worried about too much heat and distorting the plate. Fortunately it did fine. I made a base from some cut offs and added a set of casters that I already had around the shop.

I have not added a winch which I had kind of planned on.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    brino likes this.
  15. BFHammer

BFHammer United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Chattanooga
    State:
    Tennessee

-Return to Top-

:confused:Haven't quite figured out the picture thing yet

IMG_2307.JPG IMG_2306.JPG

rdean, brino, royesses and 1 other person like this.
  16. kvt

kvt Active User Active Member

City:
    San Antonio
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I like the tray and rollers under it. The air assisted jack is also nice.

17. Splat

Splat Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    here and there...
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

Here's a link to a metal site that has details for making your own press. Parts list is about halfway down the page. Cheers.

Groundhog and brino like this.
  18. brino

brino Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Almonte
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

19. jamby

jamby United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Olympia
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

I just knew I shouldn't look in this post. I just knew but I did. I've wanted a press for the last several years but haven't done anything about it until now. The wife wanted to got for a drive after the snow cleared off the road so off we go for a 80 mile trip to the only HF in the area, err maybe not in the area, and bought a 60603 and drug it home. It must be a really good one since I paid $184 for it, sales tax. I've got it set up and mounted on casters so now its hunt down the steel cable, clips, and a winch to finish it up.
    By the way were did you find the cable and winch?

Jim

20. ndnchf

City:
    Fredericksburg
    State:
    Virginia

-Return to Top-

I bought the winch and mounting plate at Harbor Freight too. The winch was $20, the mounting plate was $5. Hopefully you can find them closer! The pulleys and clamps came from a True Value hardware store.

21. BearsDown

City:
    Stockbridge
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

I bought this one on eBay. It's a good, strong one and has plenty of cable attached.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/252072324909

22. sanddan

City:
    Damascus
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

I am mounting aftermarket seats in my car and decided to make, rather than buy, the floor mounts. Here is an example of one of the mount tabs I made, 3/16" by 1 1/4" steel flat bar bent using my press brake and the HF 20 ton press.

tab1.JPG

brino likes this.
  23. jamby

jamby United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Olympia
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

ndnchf
    I went to the close one. 48 miles away. It didn't start out that way I had to go 25 miles to the hospital for a blood draw and since I was out anyway I went to the local metal sales, Capital Industrial 43 miles away, and got the mounting plate for $4 and a block 3x2x1 to make the clamp base for my QCTP. But they didn't have a wench with a cable, nylon strap only, so on to HF for the wench. That was another 8 miles up the road and they had the wench for $26 but nothing else. So it was Tozier Bros Ace H on the way home for all the little junk. Ouch another $24 buckos. But now I have it all I just need to get to work.
    Hey Thanks for the help.

sanddan
    Did you make or buy your press brake and if bought from where?

Jim

24. talvare

talvare United States Ted A H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Well, this thread got me off my butt to finally make a press brake attachment for my HF press. Been going to make one since I bought the press five or six years ago. So, anyway, after I got the brake finished I quickly realized that the addition of a winch was a necessity. I've had an old boat winch stored in my shop for 25+ years, but no cable, so off to HF for a cable. Fabbed up the required pieces and machined a spacer for the spool on the winch so the two cables wouldn't stack on top of each other and everything seems to work well. Now I just need a project that needs something bent. Some pics attached:
    100_2789.JPG 100_2790.JPG 100_2794.JPG

FOMOGO, brino and RandyM like this.
  25. sanddan

City:
    Damascus
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Jim, I made mine.

I started with a similar design to the Swag but for the bottom die I have two 1" round bars. I set the spacing to get a tight bend on 1/8" to 1/4" plate. The 3/16" had an outside radius of 3/8" which is pretty tight. The first version used two pieces of angle iron which gave me a large radius bend which I didn't like. The 2 bars are welded to a plate that is captured in the press and can be swapped out for different ones depending on the thickness of the material you are bending.

FOMOGO and brino like this.
  26. ndnchf

City:
    Fredericksburg
    State:
    Virginia

-Return to Top-

Glad to see you guys getting your presses pimped too! It can be a pain gathering all the winch bits n pieces, but the effort is well worth it.

27. BearsDown

City:
    Stockbridge
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

Just a note for anyone working from these measurements. That shaft collar is 1.690" ID not .690". I was just ordering one from McMaster-Carr and it struck me that the ram on the press is well over an inch in diameter. It's 1.625" so you need a collar for a 1-5/8" shaft.

28. Ironken

City:
    Kansas City
    State:
    Missouri

-Return to Top-

Oops....sorry. Fixed it. My shaft collar is for an 1-11/16 shaft. 1-5/8 might be small.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 8:03 PM
  29. kvt

kvt Active User Active Member

City:
    San Antonio
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Found a real quick way to hold the handle up above the jack on the press. But what I did is put two Magnets from a couple of old hard drives on the cross rail above the jack. They hold things nicely