picnic table

camdigger

Registered
Registered
After I got thoroughly disgusted with the lumberyard package picnic table I had, I started to look for other designs. I'm really happy with this design. So much so, I copied it and made one out of 1 1/2" square tubing and another out of 2" pipe. The one out of pipe is great as long as you don't want to move it. It's way too heavy, but the material was in stock and.... Either are great around the fire pit. They're each 8'' long and end to end will comfortably seat three families of a total of 14 people.

Last edited by a moderator:
author=knudsen link=topic=719.msg3766#msg3766 date=1296679071
Very nice. Treated lumber? Easy to move, hook it with a toe rope :D

Yes, the lumber is treated spf. IIRC, the lumber is held on by 1/4" x 2" carriage bolts. The bolts are tight enough that they have sunk into the wood almost flush.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good design.

What is the base and top supports made with?

Jim

That table is made with a 22' stick of square tube (1 1/2" 125 wall IIRC). The table and seat supports are simply 2" x 3/16" or so angle iron. Holes were predrilled in the angle iron before welding to leave 1/2" spacing on the planks which are planed 2" x 6" x 8'. I drilled up through the planks to put the bolts in.

The other table I built was out of 2" pipe with 2" x 1/4" angle iron table and seat supports. I had to add an extra table support to the second one to level some warping of the table planks. Added the support, and the surface is relatively flat now.

Back