picking a mill vise hellppp

Unlike some, I find the pinch clamps used on CNC type vises to be neither time consuming to use, nor insecure.

The flat sides of these vises makes it easy to use an accurate square for initial placement on the table. I'd wager this method yields results every bit as good as keys do. And just as quickly. If key alignment is good enough for the job at hand then a squared CNC vise will be fine as well.

I'm fairly certain that modern CNC machines generate a lot of tool forces. A whole lot more than any hobbyist is likely to generate.
I cannot recall seeing any workholding accidents attributable to using step clamps, or CNC vises generally, which would not have happened had a traditional vise been used.

Personally I can't foresee ever choosing a traditional vise over a CNC type but that's why they make both types.

I've got a 4" CNC type vise on my Hi-Torque mini-mill. It's a very large vise for this size mill, but it has been working well for m, and works for most of the jobs I want to do. On occasion, it's just too big, so I also have a smaller screwless vise, and of course there are other methods for work holding for different situations.

Foe a review of the 4" vise, see here:

https://sites.google.com/site/lagadoacademy/machining---lathes-mills-etc/review---milling-vise

Thanks guys ended up getting a homge from qmt I'll post pics etc when I figure out how to do so :)

I use kurt vises a 4" cnc (no clamp tab's on sides) would work fine and for the odd job the vise can be clamped on it's side. One draw back is that clamp bolts are on the inside and can be hard to get to.

i have a 4" from Precision Matthews on my rf45/932 and i think any bigger would be a little too big. the vise itself seems to be of good quality for the price, i have no complaints. i don't have a kurt to compare it to, but i'm not new to recognizing typical cheap quality in tools in general.

i think i might enjoying having another 4" to be able to mount two on my table, but perhaps a couple of 3"ers would be more appropriate. dunno

Back