Picked up harvey butterfly die filer:

Ron,
Really nice larger one , minted out, looks great.
Do yours leak any oil ?
jon

Ron,
Really nice larger one , minted out, looks great.
Do yours leak any oil ?
jon

the both leaked really bad, from the bottom seals when I got them, one shaft looked real good the other was scored, (replaced all seals) repaired and polished the 1 scored shaft with "Belzona" polished the other,sold the the one to my buddy $50 bucks, the one I kept (smaller) nice shaft still leaked, even after I tried 90/120 gear lube. i should knock it a part and either hard chrome the shaft (not) or sleeve it,decided to put a zerk fitting in it and pump it full of a good quality automotive wheel bearing grease..... no leaks or knocks or issues so far ....a small (1 drop) leak from the oil cup when i oil it.
I used to come home after work every day for about 2 weeks and run it for about 20 minutes just to make sure it did not develop problems.... still running , still quiet, and no leaks, both machines cost me $50.00 each, rebuild cost was unde $20 bucks each 3 cans of brake parts cleaner , a small can of rust-oleum gray, few seals around 6 bucks a pop...and of course elbow grease

the both leaked really bad, from the bottom seals when I got them, one shaft looked real good the other was scored, (replaced all seals) repaired and polished the 1 scored shaft with "Belzona" polished the other,sold the the one to my buddy $50 bucks, the one I kept (smaller) nice shaft still leaked, even after I tried 90/120 gear lube. i should knock it a part and either hard chrome the shaft (not) or sleeve it,decided to put a zerk fitting in it and pump it full of a good quality automotive wheel bearing grease..... no leaks or knocks or issues so far ....a small (1 drop) leak from the oil cup when i oil it.
I used to come home after work every day for about 2 weeks and run it for about 20 minutes just to make sure it did not develop problems.... still running , still quiet, and no leaks, both machines cost me $50.00 each, rebuild cost was unde $20 bucks each 3 cans of brake parts cleaner , a small can of rust-oleum gray, few seals around 6 bucks a pop...and of course elbow grease
Hi,
thanks for all the info. This will be my first , for doing a rebuild like yours. I am not that experienced. I do not even know where to get new seals, and how yo replace.
Mine leaks from the moving shafts , below the chuck. Not a bad leak, i thought we might have put too much oil, or it is 20wt , not 30 which info says to use from company.
Any idea how much oil should be in there?
where are the seals exactly, and are you talking about the two sides with screws holding that round cover.
As you can see, i am a beginner, but very eager to learn.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Do you have yours mounted with a single bolt, or just sitting on a stand, so you can lift it up if a file falls thru the chuck?
Thanks,
jon

I filled mine up with oil till a just started seeing it in the sight glass. It is a splash or flung oiling system the seal for mine was a Federal Mogul / National # 350414,,, not saying 100% sure it would be the same for yours. you pretty much have to take it completley apart to change the shaft seal start of with the cover on the opposite side of the pulley a allen bolt and a few set screws. I made a few different seal drivers to remove and install the new one....easy stuff
I used the single center bolt to secure it to the table and also drilled somewhere around 3/4 hole in the table directly under the tube incase i drop the file down the tube it lands on the shelf below. attached pictures, feel fre to PM me if you have a question that I may be able to help you with.IMG_0164.JPGIMG_0189.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG IMG_0189.JPG

image.jpeg Hi everyone! I found an old Harvey Butterfly machine at a local scrap yard, picked it up for 20 cents/lb. I've refurbished the old gal, and I do mean old. She has an old USAEC property tag still attached. For those of you that may not be familiar with the Manhattan Project, that's the United States Atomic Energy Commision (the folks that put Japan out of business in WWII). Turned out pretty fair I think, it's been a fun project. I went with the early machinery green, since that's what the original color was. Local Sherwin Williams mixed up some fantastic DTM paint for me (took them a couple weeks before they got the color just right). Jon asked about the capacity of the crankcase, I'm interested in knowing this also. I don't want to pay $50 for a gallon of iso 68 medium heavy oil if I can help it. There is a smaller quantity for sale on eBay, couple pints I believe, but I'm not sure this will be enough. Any help on this would be sppreciated.
Fanatic

Back