Picked up harvey butterfly die filer:

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hi Guys,
It is in the basement shop, waiting for a stand.
It needs alot of cleaning and some minor work. The oil left inside really smelled awful.
Anything besides an oil change needed.
Thanks for all info.
Why the pan, is it to catch the files when they fall thru.
No mounting holes in 4 corners.

Jon

Hi Guys, The oil left inside really smelled awful. Jon
Bought an old car once that the gas in the carbs (four single barrels) had 'spoiled'. Looked and smelled like someone had puked in the bowls. Don't let hydrocarbons lurk for long periods... John

With out pics it never happend.:worthless:

Hey Jon!

I have one, which I will check for you this weekend. I never did an oil change, but I will check mine for an info plate.

By the way, the mounting place is a hole right in the center of the bottom plate, between the motor and the base of the filer, as a hole that you can drop a bolt through.

Good for you! Now PICs pics pics man!!

Bernie

Here are some pics of the die filer just picked up from next town.
Here are some pics,can some one tell me if that pin needs to be in one of those holes nearby?
Thanks,
Jon

image.jpg image.jpg

Okay John, here we go!
I'm going to try to attach a pic with my phone, which I haven't done before, I usually use my iPad.
This is a pic of the front of my butterfly filer. You see those two one quarter inch plugs in the housing. You simply empty the bottom one to drain it, and fill it up to the height of the top one to refill it. I believe you use a lightweight gear oil, but I do not have any information from the factory on this.
tavunumy.jpg

Here are some pics of the die filer just picked up from next town.
Here are some pics,can some one tell me if that pin needs to be in one of those holes nearby?
Thanks,
Jon

nice looks like you bought it from the same guy as i did was he in Queens?

Boy, the Harvey Butterfly name brings back memories. 40+ years ago when I was an apprentice tool maker the shop I worked in had 2 Harvey Butterfly surface grinders. One of them wore out very quickly because they had the great idea instead of scraped or ground ways it had "pock" marks, 1/8" indents cut into the ways every 1/4" or so, supposedly to hold the oil. Sorry for the ramble.
By the way, we had that die filer as well. Spent many, many hours on it. Being the only apprentice I got all the "choice" jobs.

John

Back