Picked Up A 2nd Vn 12, And Its Old

Jason Annen

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Bought a VN 12 from Milwaukee via Ebay for the tooling. Turns out, this machine is much nicer than my current machine (condition wise), and is older. The original machine was built in 41, and the new one was built in 37, with a serial number of 5000-12. I also noticed the frame casting lettering is different, the cutter head is different, with a smaller OD spindle. The table is also different, though it may have been a user mod over the years. The electrical controls are different as well. Almost zero backlash in the cutter head, and all the gears show little to no wear. It was used in a tool room at an ADM plant.

Also picked up a VN 10" dividing head.

Jason

10 dividing head.jpg

VN logo.jpg
VN table.jpg
VN serial number.jpg
VN Electrical.jpg

Jason,

That looks great!
Some people avoid the old machines. I prefer them knowing that those massive bases mean less vibration.

I don't know these Van Norman machines, I "assume" that arced slot allows the spindle to be horizontal or vertical...is that right?
If so, is there also a support that goes from the overarm to the end of the horizontal spindle?
It must be diagonal, rather than vertical...right?

That is a massive vice! :encourage:

-brino

The machine pictured was built sometime in 1937, and will last indefinitely if properly cared for. The VN machines have some advantages over Bridgeport type machines. They are much more rigid, and offer the ability to mill in the horizontal and vertical positions. They also have some significant draw backs, no quill, expensive replacement parts, and expensive and hard to find tooling. They are cheap though, and they can provide inexpensive solutions based on what you want to do, however a Bridgeport style machine is more versatile. I actually purchased this machine for the tooling, and I ended p with a machine better than the one I had, so I am keeping the newly acquired one. This machine also has a home made coolant system.

Jason

vn 12 hor1.jpg

vn overall1.jpg

vn overall2.jpg vn overall1.jpg

Bought a VN 12 from Milwaukee via Ebay for the tooling. Turns out, this machine is much nicer than my current machine ... was built in 37, with a serial number of 5000-12. I also noticed the frame casting lettering is different, the cutter head is different, with a smaller OD spindle. The table is also different, though it may have been a user mod over the years. ...

Jason

View attachment 107251
Jason,

That is beyond cool! AFIK, Van Norman No. 12 serial numbers started at 5000; you may have the very first No. 12 built! This belongs in a museum! Take care of her.

Cal

Jason,

Thanks very much for the pictures. :encourage:

That is a beautiful machine!

What tooling is hard to find? Does it have a B&S standard taper in the spindle?
My old Cincinnati has B&S#11 so I buy that up whenever I find it.
My local used tool place has some other B&S sized adapters (#12 and #10 maybe?).
Let me know if you're in the market for it.

-brino

Edit: Since you have two I'd be tempted to keep both running, one for horizontal and one for vertical. It could save time changing setups......

I am very sorry to interrupt this thread. But I can't seem to change my password on this site because I can't answer the stupid question about what rotates the cutter on a mill. Can't use contact because of the same question. Could someone who runs this thing tell me what the answer is? My iPhone remembers the password but I would like to use my PC. Guess I should have wrote it down cause I have 900 other passwords for banking work and everything else under the sun. I'm sorry fellas. I feel better now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am very sorry to interrupt this thread. But I can't seem to change my password on this site because I can't answer the stupid question about what rotates the cutter on a mill. Can't use contact because of the same question.

Can you change the password from your iphone, or does the password change ask for the old password too?
I do not see any moderators currently online; would you like me to post a thread in the "Site Help and Issues" section for you?

-brino

I think answer your looking for is spindle.

As to the tooling, that machine uses the Van Norman C taper, or the Hardinge 5V taper. I was specifically going after the horizontal arbors.

As to keeping both, I don't have the space, and its not that hard to change the setup.

Jason

Back