Phase II rotary table Question

Why would you need to disengage the worm? Or is this an assembly/maintenance thing?

Andre, you disengage the worm to be able to rapidly position the table by spinning it by hand.. These tables are usually a 90:1 ratio so it takes 90 turns of the handle to rotate the table 360 degrees...a lot of crankin if you just want to turn the table to a known position.

Darrell

Andre, you disengage the worm to be able to rapidly position the table by spinning it by hand.. These tables are usually a 90:1 ratio so it takes 90 turns of the handle to rotate the table 360 degrees...a lot of crankin if you just want to turn the table to a known position.

Darrell

Thank you very much, that makes sense. I thought they were 40:1 though.

Andre, most rotary tables are 90:1. Not saying there aren't other ratios out there. Perhaps you are thinking dividing heads, there are a lot of 40:1 versions. I have a Hardinge dividing head that is 4:1. Makes for rapid movements but it has a small capacity.

Cheers
Darrell

Good thinking, Shadowdog500, thanks!

To be quite honest I didn't realise that I was referencing your thread when I posted it. I didn't take note of the thread originator until later.

Bait hog, Glad it worked out for you!

Chris

Sorry to resurrect and old thread but figured asking here might actually be more effective than starting a new one. I have a similar Phase II table (8" model) which I bought for a DIY 4th axis. I am stuck trying to remove the eccentric - or more specifically the pull stud. How did you guys pull it out? Do you happen to remember what thread it is?

thanks in advance!

The retaining plug on mine was not threaded, but center drilled apparently for doing so if the plug got damaged, or maybe was incomplete from the factory. If a previous owner drilled and tapped it could be almost anything - 6 or 8 series inch thread or maybe 4mm (seems to be common size on the unit). If it is undamaged it should probably fall out, if it is damaged (apparently, this is a common problem) it will need pulling. Here is an excellent how-to I found on the internet: https://www.flickr.com/photos/duncancycles/sets/72157632198748679/.

Here is the step by step I posted on this forum, it's at the end of the thread: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/rotary-table-problem.7241/

Thank you - I got it sorted out. I pulled the dowel out with a 3mm tap for anyone who runs into this thread in the future.

I have not seen a rotary table that was not 90:1. When I made the brass indexing attachment for my 6" table many years ago,I had to take the ratio into consideration to space the holes in the plate.

Back