Phase Converter Good Or Bad

Do not know anything about that static converter, but I did run a static on my 5hp lathe years ago. It worked fine, I had no troubles but everyone warned me of impending doom. I now use either rotary phase converter or VFD. The motor did survive 5 years of use with the static but I noticed the motor did run pretty warm even with light loads on it. I would spend the money and either build a rotary or buy a small VFD for not a whole lot more and have full hp with no worries.

michael

As it says right on the label static convertors only allow about 2/3 of the motors rated capacity to be produced. If you have a cheap motor it may not last. Then again if it's a cheap motor if it fails then replace it. For my money I would get a rotary unless that's not doable for you.

That answers that question.
Thanks.
I guess I'll be looking to do a Rotary.
I have a 7.5HP 3 phase I took off a industrial Compressor I got at an Auction just laying around collecting dust.
I could use it to build a rotary converter, but I know nothing about how to wire a rotary box or what all is needed for it.
I can wire regular 110 or 220 with no problem.
Read all kinds of info on them but still can't quite grasp the how to of them.
I would need very detailed instructions on parts and connections.
I know I could buy it already assembled, but $$ is the deciding factor.

That answers that question.
Thanks.
I guess I'll be looking to do a Rotary.
I have a 7.5HP 3 phase I took off a industrial Compressor I got at an Auction just laying around collecting dust.
I could use it to build a rotary converter, but I know nothing about how to wire a rotary box or what all is needed for it.
I can wire regular 110 or 220 with no problem.
Read all kinds of info on them but still can't quite grasp the how to of them.
I would need very detailed instructions on parts and connections.
I know I could buy it already assembled, but $$ is the deciding factor.

Hi Roadie33,
i made easy to follow plans for a pushbutton start/stop RPC unit...
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/rpc-simple-design-unbalanced.12712/

heres a video of the box made from the plans

and how to hook it up:

i hope the info is helpful!
mike

Ulma Doctor has a pretty slick set up in post above. If you want it done for you with minimal thinking or work involved I can attest to the excellence and affordable prices of Phase-Craft. They are on ebay, have good prices, very well built, instructions anyone can follow. They use good parts and stand behind their stuff. You can contact them direct at phasecraft@gmail.com or call 714 710 9094. Jim Gorman is the guy. I ordered one on a Monday and had it 2 days later. Several year guarantee.

michael

Thanks Mike.
What size Cap for a 7.5HP 3 phase Pony?
You mentioned Contactor from a heater 220V, what exactly is that and where or what kind do I need?
What type of start and stop switches are those, and where to get them?
I have purchased other supplies from Surplus Center before and know they carry a lot of this stuff but don't know exactly the type or what size it would take.

Any help would be appreciated and am sorry if I ask too many questions.
I am not wanting to waste money on something I can't use because I got the wrong item.
A lot of electrical parts are non returnable once you buy it.

Thanks also Michael.
If I find I can't build it myself I might go that route.
I am willing to try to build it myself first. With some guided support, of course. :)

a 400 microfarad 377 volt rated start capacitor would be just fine.
Furnas is the company that manufactured the contactor (it didn't come out of a heater).
any 3 pole 40 or 50 amp rated 220 volt coil contactor would work for your situation- Ebay has tons of them
i have a few in stock if you have trouble, although you shouldn't have much trouble finding one.
the start/stop switches are manufactured by square d .
they are momentary contact- the start switch(es) are 2 normally open switches controlled by the same pushbutton
the stop switch is a normally closed single pole switch. both start/stops are rated for 3amps at 240 volts (not much current goes through the start/stop circuit)
you don't necessarily have to use furnas and square d any products that are NEMA certified or UL listed are more than sufficient for what were doing here.
Surplus vendors are excellent sources for inexpensive goodies, i shop surplus vendors all the time.

i'd be happy to assist you in building a unit. as long as you get minimum 220v 3a rated switches, a 40 or 50 amp 3 pole 220v coil, 2 40 amp fuses and holder or a 40 amp 2 pole overload relay, a 400 microfarad start cap, some wire, disconnect device(plugs or 2 pole knife type switch or drum switch)
from my video you'll see the system is quite simple.
heres a video of the 7.5 hp starter box i made for another member a while back

Back