Performance expectations for Craftex CF700 lathe

Ryedan

Registered
Registered
Performance expectations for Craftex CX700 lathe

I'm looking for my first lathe. I spent 15 years building plastic injection moulds, but that was 20 years ago and I'm rusty now. And that experience was with much larger tool-room machines, so I'm in new territory for me. Maximum part size for jobs I have in mind now will be about 1 1/2 in dia and about 6 in long, like for small flashlights. Materials I know I will be cutting are various plastics, aluminum, brass, various tool steels (H-13, P-20) and SS 304 & 316. This machine seems like it's about the right size and price for me. It will see prototype jobs and light production runs.

I have 4 questions right now;

I really like that it comes with digital readouts. Are they any good? All I want is to know where the tool-bit is.
Will I be able to take a reasonable roughing cut in SS with 1 HP? 0.03" deep (0.06" dia) x 0.015"/rev would be great (am I dreaming here?). Is 3/4 HP good enough for this?
Range of spindle speeds is 50 – 2000 RPM. Will I have enough power at lower RPM to get the job done?
This puppy has a 3 year warranty from Busy Bee. Do they stand behind it?

Many thanks for any help you guys can give me.

R

It looks like the digital readout is only the RPM. You will still need to read the dials. .030" cut in SS probly isn't going to happen. Outher then that it should do what you wan't. I have not delt with Busey Bee as I live in the US. But I have heard thay are related to Grizzly Witch has a verry goos custamer service.

It looks like the digital readout is only the RPM. You will still need to read the dials. .030" cut in SS probly isn't going to happen. Outher then that it should do what you wan't. I have not delt with Busey Bee as I live in the US. But I have heard thay are related to Grizzly Witch has a verry goos custamer service.

Thanks for the feedback http://www.hobby-machinist.com/member.php/143-kd4gijkd4gij and for pointing out the the readout is for rpm!

Can anyone give me some estimate of maximum cut I will be able to make with 1 HP in stainless or 4140? Is it even viable?

Ryedan ,
Did you buy it ?

I have not had very positive customer service.
plus the prices are much higher than U.S. sites

Last edited:
Not yet road. Planning to do it in April. Yes, I've seen better prices in the US also. I have not talked to any American stores yet so I have no idea about possible warranty issues if I have problems down the road. Also duty crossing the border. I'll be doing that soon. I am pretty convinced though that this size of machine will do the job I want to do.

Back