Pay attention when running the lathe

Thank you all.
A wise man will listen and accept reproof, a fool will continue on in his ways (pun intended). I plan to take the wise approach.

Agree. Or as I say, don’t get mad, get better.

Blondihacks calls them "murder machines". That may be a little too over the top, but then again maybe not. I let a jaw on a 10" chuck bang my thumb once, and thank goodness I was running it at 36 RPM instead of the usual speeds. I just wasn't paying attention. We all know the rules; complacency is the enemy.

Rick "thinking that crashing his South Bend would do more damage than a couple of broken gears" Denney

Thanks for the safety reminder.
I'm glad it wasn't worse.

Multiple mistakes happened there.
Employees need to be trained NOT TO INTERUPT someone operating dangerous machinery.
You allowed your attention to be diverted.
You didn't make the machine safe before turning away.

Those are the big three that come to my mind.
I don't mean to pile on.
Just to delineate a bit in the hope the lessons will stick where needed.
I don't know how my metal shop teacher slept at night.
He taught me how to run the 13" South Bend. I paid close attention. He only let good students near that lathe.
So many things can go wrong so fast.
Heck, the drill press was bad enough.

I guess the wood shop teacher had some rough nights as well. Those wood saws can take a finger or hand in a split second

My first lathe was a Sears 9" and shortly after getting it running I tried to flick some swarf off of the cutting tool. Unfortunately it caught my finger and took a large gouge out of it. As painful as it was, I feel fortunate that's all it did. Ever since then my mantra is "never touch a moving machine part."

Back