Parting Tool Question

Ken S

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
After binding and breaking the tool on my first parting attempt I've been afraid to try it again until I got a QCTP with a parting tool holder. I bought a grizzly parting tool to go in it, watched some videos, ground the tool properly (I think) and made my first attempt. I did get the piece parted but the tool pulled closer to the headstock as I got closer to center. I re-ground the tool, thinking it may not have been perfectly square and tried again. Some thing happened. On closer inspection of the tool, I discovered it is beveled at the top with the headstock edge being slightly taller than the other edge. Could this be the cause of it being pulled inward during the cut?
If so, how can I correct that?
Thanks
Ken

Parting tools are often handed RH or LH, a straight tool will leave a a collar on the part which often requires a second deburring operation after it comes off of the stock.

Most likely your tool is a bit off in the X axis, use a dial indicator and adjust it as close as you can get and try again, indicate the blade itself not the holder nor the tool post.

A quick change tool post even if it is made by Aloris is not any more rigid than a 4 way, it is just more easily used. Many hobbyists seem to believe that "upgrading" to a QCTP will solve some of their problems, this is unlikely.

Hi
How old is the lathe, ???
set the tool slightly high of center, not low.
Tighten the gibbs slightly.

Thanks guys, I just put a dial indicator on the tool and got it within .0005 and tried another cut. Same thing happened.
It's a 1989 Frehoth 13x36 I just bought it 3 weeks ago from the original owner who was a hobby guy and used it very little. I went home through it when I set it up and adjusted the gins but I'll check them again.

This is the best pic I could get of the cutoff. Sorry about the sideways view.

It's a real thin parting tool and can bend that much. When I face a shaft it's perfectly straight. The gibs are snug and there's no movement in the cross slide.

image.jpeg

how fast are you spinning it....steel aluminum..stainless????

image.jpeg image.jpeg I tried again with the tool slightly high of center and it did the same thing. I can't figure this out.

I'm turning slow in back gear. 50 rpm I think. It's stainless. Also using oil throught the cut.

Do you have the T type cut off blade? The blades that have a bevel top and bottom are made for the other style cut off tool not the one for the quick change.

Back