Parting 2.75 cold rolled steel

"What are you holding a .75 parting tool with on the 9x20?"

I had an old worn out Logan that would barely part aluminum and would absolutely not cut any kind of steel when using the lantern style TP in the compound. I made a tool holder during a nite school class that eliminated the compound altogether. One side was for turning and and the other side was used for parting with a .75 blade. Coarse height adjustment was via blocking and fine adjustment was via a tapered slotted base plate. Parting steel was no problem with the new setup and finish was improved when turning as well. I don't think I ever used it to part solid 3 inch but did use it for parting 3 inch stuff with a hole in the middle. That said, I certainly agree with the more experienced guys that band sawing and facing is the way to go. The person who said "Parting is such sweet sorrow" must have owned a lathe.

LOGAN TOOL HOLDER.JPG

Last edited:
My lathes are a bit more rigid that your South Bend...

For those with more rigid equipment I highly recommend the Manchester cutoff system
http://www.cutting-tool-supply.com/Manchester/

Buy it on eBay, too spendy new. With a Manchester insert and toolholder, just engage the power feed and cut anything right off. I tell you it has me plumb spoilt. I haven't heard that sickening CRUNCH from the cutoff binding and breaking in many years.

Karl

Back