Parting 2.75 cold rolled steel

Jonathans

Professional Fish Killer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I need to make some precision weights for a rockwell hardness tester.
2.75" diameter with a 1.625 diameter x .125 indentation in the bottom and a 1.6" diameter x.12 tenon on the top.
is it feasible to part 2.75" cold rolled on a 9" Southbend lathe? I'm not sure whether and cut off blade that fits an AXA tool holder will be stiff enough for that diameter. I see that Aloris has a 77 series AXA tool holder that takes a .75 blade but that may still not be stiff enough and is quite a speedy setup.
would I be better off cutting it on the bandsaw and cutting the mating indentations and tenons from the end?

I would say yes, in view of the limited quantity of the project. Parting can be problematic, and frustrating. IMO, you'd be miles ahead sawing the stock and facing the back side of the pieces.

IMHO, you're asking for trouble. You'll find it. saw them and face.

Karl

I would saw it. But I have parted 3in 4140 with no trouble at all on my 9x20. Slow rpm, slow feed and lotta oil it cuts pretty easy for me using .75 cut off

I have done this many times on a 9A south bend. Problematic Yes. But doing this for yrs then I grew up. Old sayin you want the hard way or easy way. So the painless
way is as said - good ole hacksaw and face it. Simply put its easier on the lathe. Although everbody parts off but no one enjoys it, then sometimes ya gotta do it, like all those
cribbage pins (old post) those have to be parted.

I agree, something that large will be easier to cut and then face.

Paul

I agree, something that large will be easier to cut and then face.

Paul

How ya doing, I get to go and see you, its about time to go to you know " where" buy some more junk ........sam

Absolutely -- Saw it. That's a deep cut and all kinds of funny things can happen.

"Billy G"

And to be clear, when I done it, I had no other option. It was way to short for my bandsaw and way to much to try and face down. Like everyone has said, saw it if you can.

Thanks guys. Just curious, Chuckorlando, What are you holding a .75 parting tool with on the 9x20?

Back