Parkson 1NA horizontal vertical mill.

Finished up the repair on my mill today. I drilled reamed 4 dowels on the two faces. I then bored a 1-3/8” hole thru the side. I made a 1-3/8” pin which I drilled and tapped 5/8”-11 hole. I then inserted a piece of 5/8” all thread thru the end and tightend the whole thing down. I couldn’t put an pice of anll thread the entire length as the casting for the parking stand blocked the hole in the middle.
20240323_153029.jpeg20240323_153008.jpeg20240323_153017.jpegInstalled it in reverse so the repair is at the back now. I need to move the digital readout now as the parking stand is reversed.
seems to work very well. Time will tell when I’m doing some horizontal milling.
Martin

Wow, that’s a very elegant repair Martin. And no small feat getting things aligned either, I bet. Nicely done :encourage:

Wow, that’s a very elegant repair Martin. And no small feat getting things aligned either, I bet. Nicely done :encourage:
Thank you. I am happy with the result.
The over ram probably weighs 200 pounds, if not more. I used 4 transfer punches and slid the two pieces together while it was still on the mill to mark the bigger half. In hindsight I should have done this before I milled the faces. I could have saved a lot of lifting! Lol
Once I had it on the boring mill, I used a small dead center mounted in a Morse #4 sleeve in the high-speed spindle. From there it was easy to line up each hole with the center, then drill, then ream. I am terrible at taking pictures when I'm working. I always seem to take them after I'm done.
The repair isn't even in the dovetails when the vertical head is installed, it is pushed all the way back. When I put the horizontal arbor in, it is right over the back clamps, so it worked out perfectly.
I assume the reason it was cut off, is because when it's all the way back the mill has to be farther off the wall. It must have been a space issue.
Martin

A very clever and neat solution. Coincidentally I've just been offered a 1NA but will have to collect it if I go for it. Being a little short of space (but not to the extent of hacking off the overarm ... :) ) I'm trying to find dimensions and weights for it. I looked at lathes.co.uk but either I'm missing something, or he doesn't quote them.
Do you have a rough idea of the weight and the overall sizes and table size, please?

Will

Back