Parkson 1NA horizontal vertical mill.

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I picked up my new to me milling machine today.she’s an oldie but a goodie. I bought it from a retired toolmaker. Has 3 axis DRO and rapids on all axis. It’s in pretty good shape. I’m really happy . I have it hooked to a VFD for now until I get a 208 volt three phase motor starter.
Maybe tomorrow I’ll start cleaning it up. The one thing that annoyed me was someone in the past cut 6” off the over ram, so I can only use a short arbor on the horizontal. I have the piece that was cut off, but I can’t think of a way to fix it. I don’t think brazing or nickel welding is a good idea.
would be nice to find the gear train for the dividing head, but chances are slim I think. If someone has an operating manual for the dividing-head gears on a Parkson mill Id be very interested. Thanks
Martin

20240316_144848.jpeg

I picked up my new to me milling machine today.she’s an oldie but a goodie. I bought it from a retired toolmaker. Has 3 axis DRO and rapids on all axis. It’s in pretty good shape. I’m really happy . I have it hooked to a VFD for now until I get a 208 volt three phase motor starter.
Maybe tomorrow I’ll start cleaning it up. The one thing that annoyed me was someone in the past cut 6” off the over ram, so I can only use a short arbor on the horizontal. I have the piece that was cut off, but I can’t think of a way to fix it. I don’t think brazing or nickel welding is a good idea.
would be nice to find the gear train for the dividing head, but chances are slim I think. If someone has an operating manual for the dividing-head gears on a Parkson mill Id be very interested. Thanks
Martin

View attachment 483084
Great score. These come in handy. I have a Nichole's mill. and not too long ago found a vertical head in need of repair for it on eBay.

Cool machine.
Could you machine the outside surfaces of the ram and bolt and dowel plates over them? Wouldn’t exactly be pretty but it would probably end up straighter and stronger than weld or braze.

Nice mill. Why would anyone butcher a mill in that way?
My thought too. Maybe he was sure he’d only use it as a vertical? I have seen too many seriously stupid things people did to houses, cars and machines to do more than shake my head and move on. That whole machine is a beast for sure. Just moving it is a mind boggling feat.

Congratulations on your new machine!

Good morning, I found information at tony@lathes co.uk showing Parkinson (Parkson) mills that may help in some way. Looking at some of the pictures it is a hard fix. You really have to wonder what went on in someones head to do that. Tony lathes offers a parts replacement service.

Last edited:
Hi, looking at what was done to that mill I would like to suggest possibly bolting a 2" plate, shaped to the rams contour across the ram and press a 2/3" shaft into a bored hole in the plate. Of Course you would have to fabricate the outboard spindle holder. Just an option.

I’m thinking of making a plug out of wood for a pattern and then machine a block of steel as close as possible To a snug fit. Then drill and dowel pin thru the casting and steel block from the sides. I’m hoping it is ambidextrous and I’ll turn it around and put the repair to the rear. It’ll be right at the clamp at the rear of the machine.
Martin

I’m thinking of making a plug out of wood for a pattern and then machine a block of steel as close as possible To a snug fit. Then drill and dowel pin thru the casting and steel block from the sides. I’m hoping it is ambidextrous and I’ll turn it around and put the repair to the rear. It’ll be right at the clamp at the rear of the machine.
Martin
That a nice idea and a solution. Did you happen to check out the horizontal Parkson mill info at tonylathe co. UK?

Back