Parker Majestic #2 surface grinder

Thanks, I’d appreciate that.
I have the service manual such that it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything specific on the drive hub?
My saddle is off.

I’m curious if it has some connection to the oil system.
The recess for the drive hub seems to have a fair bit of oil in it.

Last edited:
Was that on a Parker?
Yes, on a Parker #2 and also on a 2Z. I think we had to make a new drum and of course clamps to modify the ends to suit. You'll find a world of difference in the "feel" when starting to crank and reversing the table. No more mushiness. Better at working between "stops" also. One cable should last you a lifetime.

Eugene

When I had mine apart which is not a Parker but along the same design I remember looking over the band for the table to traverse. Looked to me like pallet banding. About the same width and very flexible. I had thought to myself if it needed replacing the banding looked like a good candidate. Idk.

Yes, on a Parker #2 and also on a 2Z. I think we had to make a new drum and of course clamps to modify the ends to suit. You'll find a world of difference in the "feel" when starting to crank and reversing the table. No more mushiness. Better at working between "stops" also. One cable should last you a lifetime.

Eugene

Thanks Eugene, in the drum you made, do you recall if you cut grooves for the cable to ride in?

When I had mine apart which is not a Parker but along the same design I remember looking over the band for the table to traverse. Looked to me like pallet banding. About the same width and very flexible. I had thought to myself if it needed replacing the banding looked like a good candidate. Idk.

Thanks @Cadillac, when I measured the thickness last night it seemed thinner than any strapping I’ve seen. But I was rushed so I might have measured incorrectly.

I was awake at 0500 hrs today so was thinking that I'm going to try drilling new holes in the existing bands and see how that goes.
I also thought about using heavy clamps on the table ends of the bands to put tension on them so they don't unwind. On the right side I might add a bungee cord to the wall for additional tension and out to the drill press stand on the left.
Working alone, a guy's got to be creative!

I had a few minutes this afternoon and so I completely removed the table so I could figure out how to approach the problem.

I’m very pleased with the condition of the ways.

I installed the right side band and weighted the end with a C clamp so it wouldn’t unroll.
35eb8d18c148454aff977988d2346a11.jpg

55a13bd0261a95eb2cbd41c98224095e.jpg

4050cced4186960f65b8c92143f37ad8.jpg

Then I marked and drilled the left side band and installed it. It was absolutely easy to drill. I was about to roll it in when I realized that it had to be wound on by hand so that it was at the length it would be with the table centred. So I snaked it under the other band till it was the right length.
Attached another clamp to that end.
4f685384d12325e1c3469bc23ba10dba.jpg

Next step is to replace the table.
I’m going to paint the flat area of the cross slide and the table before it goes back together.

Last edited:
Wouldn't the bands have to be long enough for the table to reach both ends of its travel not just the center of the table? Or did I misread your post?

Back