Pantograph Engravers?

I've become fascinated by these machines- many wetre made by Gorton.

What would a home shop guy do with one of these?

Should a HSM shop have one?

Nelson

Yes you should buy mine (lol) There are many uses for them. You have seen these desk name signs
white plastic with ablack layer over it. The cut those with one of these in a shop near me. They are quite busy.
I used it to engrave die casting molds. There is one in a woodworking shop I have seen them making fancy carvings on table legs and cabinets etc. with it. Like any machine inginuity will make useful
In fact as I ajm writing this I realse I dont need a CNC woo d router. I can make fancy frames for my pictures with it.

If you have one with a 3D attachment you can make stuff like these medallions that I made on a homemade 3D pantograph. A 3D attachment will also allow you to engrave on a curved surface.

Tom

031.JPG

I picked up a New Hemes VBII with a stand, no tooling, at an estate sale a couple years ago $75.
Likely I overpaid but it was to cool to pass it up!

http://www.e-engraving.com/machines/new_hermes/New_Hermes_VB_II_Pantograph.html

Not sure what to do with it. Other than the link above, and a your post I'm not sure how to use it.
It's been sitting in a corner gathering dust. Has a cylinder adapter.
I've been busy with other stuff and have not bothered to teach it to myself.
No manual. Unable to find one online. The engraver forums don't reference it.

Any ideas?
Does it have value?

Is New Hermes still in business? I bought some engravers enamel from them some years ago. Cooper Square in NYC rings a bell.

uglydog--it would be a good item to swap for something else that you need.--I like different machines that were well made but no longer used. it looks cool
Dave

The New Hermes (sp) pantographs were boss before cnc when it came to fine engraving or duplication. Many were sold as engravers for type on plaques using templates that they also sold. Some of us "codgers" remember the story of someone who carved the Lord's prayer on the head if a pin. That was reportedly done with a New Hermes. My experience with them is not hands on but an awareness of how our model shop @ one company were I worked used one. Back then we could buy printing plates called Dycrils which were photographically made and used for letterpress printing. Using accurately made dycrils we could make prototype plastic gears, Geneva wheels and other components with injection-molded accuracy. If you still have the machine you have a jewel. At $ 75 that bordered on larceny. The Gorten and Dekel pantographs were also awesome. Gorton was based in Racine Wi & was acquired by K&T which we all know evaporated.

As the professor on Futurama would say, "good news everyone"...Dycrils are still made & materials are available. If I had scored that New Hermes engraver I'd be looking into them sooner. Then again I often find that my eye teeth often out vote my stomach teeth. I have no idea what the economics of the process would be for a hobby machinist, but out of curiosity I might just dig in on that one. (Kind'a helps with the Wisconsin weather-caused cabin fever !)

Uncle Harry, the Lord's Prayer on the point of a pin was done on a Gorton pantograph in 1934-35 and not on a New Hermes.

Here's some information on how it was done.

http://gorton-machine.org/links/prayer.html

I will have a Gorton pantograph someday when I find one close and for the right price. I love Gorton machinery in general and they were one of the leading lights in the engraving/die sinking industry.

I think I'd like a P1-3 or P2-3 with the Ratiobar.

Why yes.. you might know that after I posted that mistaken assumption on my part I researched the topic & discovered the error of my memory. Thanks for posting the correction. I intended to recant today but you saved me the trouble. Gorton made a rugged milling machine as well. A nearby fabricator & friend has one and it is a brute when compared with a Bridgeport J head.

Pretty amazing feat actually to do that engraving on a pin! And it was done be hand with nary a computer in sight.

As to the Gorton milling machines, I'm the owner of two of those Gorton mills, a 9J and a 8-1/2D, and they are indeed rugged and rigid but they also have superb spindles and plenty of fantastic engineering throughout.
I wouldn't trade either of them for three B'ports.

What model Gorton does your friend have?

Why yes.. you might know that after I posted that mistaken assumption on my part I researched the topic & discovered the error of my memory. Thanks for posting the correction. I intended to recant today but you saved me the trouble. Gorton made a rugged milling machine as well. A nearby fabricator & friend has one and it is a brute when compared with a Bridgeport J head.

Back