Painting a Kurt vise?

i used a horror-freight powder coat system for an old one a year ago. . . that worked quite well also. . .

+1 on the Rustoleum High Performance. That's good stuff. Dries quick, durable. Hard to beat. Nozzle is upsized to allow faster coverage, which if you're not used to, can lead to runs and such. It's easy to get used to though.

I scored a used Kurt vise a year ago and cleaned it up and powder coated it. Tip:
polish all the roughness away from the casting to get a smooth finish, then pre bake to cook out any embedded oils before applying powder. The result is a nice smooth finish that cleans up 100 times easier than the factory finish.

I have used Rustoleum and Brake Caliper & Wheel Paints. The toughest one I found was the brake caliper paint. Stood up to gasoline, oil, also does not chip easily. Powder Coating is good but I find it dents real easy as it never truly hardens. At least all the motorcycle frames I have seen will take a set with a finger nail.

If it takes a set with a fingernail, it wasn't fully cured. For most powder it is recommended 375-400 degrees for 20 minutes, but for larger parts and those with more mass it may take up to an hour and a half of bake time.

I get great results with Rustoleum, Caliper paint or High temp engine enamel. None of those need primer. My go to clean and prep is the blast cabinet. Living in Florida if it is hot out and it usually is I sit it in the sun till it is nice and worm. If not the heat gun comes out.

Back