Paid for Groovin!

I did a similar job this week although in aluminum and parting 1/2” long parts from 3” o.d. 3/8 wall. I made a plug for the tail stock as suggested above. Im holding in machined soft jaws by an 1/8” grip on the OD and parting in auto-feed.

Wait, what?
Parting with tail-stock support?!?!
Isn't that the recipe for danger?

Ahhhhh, It must have been a plug that fills the ID from end-to-end and then the parted off rings would simply collect on the plug?

I had a picture in my mind of the "push plate" that @extropic suggested pinching the tool and then throwing everything around.......

-brino

Wait, what?
Parting with tail-stock support?!?!
Isn't that the recipe for danger?

Ahhhhh, It must have been a plug that fills the ID from end-to-end and then the parted off rings would simply collect on the plug?

I had a picture in my mind of the "push plate" that @extropic suggested pinching the tool and then throwing everything around.......

-brino
Full on danger mode. I back off the tailstock pressure as the parting blade gets near the ID and stand clear. Without this goofy stuff i was wasting too much material. Essentially im making a deep groove and letting the parting happen gingerly and while standing back. I have made about 30 of them so far. The deep Trepanning i tried prior, now that went beyond sketchy, cost me some tooling too…. As i like to say and to quote a friend: “experience, the thing you learn right after you needed it”!

“experience, the thing you learn right after you needed it”!
You don't known what you don't know until you do:p And there is only one way to find out!

I'm continuing to gnaw. I ringed up a plywood dampener with an aluminum centre drilled plate on the back side. This seemed to help the ringing some. It is a good safety feature in any case. There is not tons of surface on the back end of the jaws. If this were to let go it would not be pretty.
Still searching for that elusive feed and speed to avoid chatter. These inserts part well in small diameters but this six inch is tough. Normal y in small diameters, slightly aggressive, consistent feed works well. Anyway I got 4 knocked off tonight. I'm hoping the 4 inch are like a holiday after these. Thanks for looking and for the suggestions.
20210515_221135.jpg

20210515_223909.jpg

Last edited:
You might want to use some lubrication for this. It will definitely help with the chatter.

Do you know what the grooves are for?

In my basement home shop I allways have used very little cutting oil. My wife is tolerant but the smell really bothers her. The grooves are for victaulic clamps.

Soluble oil doesn’t have the smoke/smell problem of cutting oil. While misters seem best, if you don’t have air supply then a little squeeze bottle with a needle tip could be good for parting.

Victaulic clamps join two sections of pipe. The pipe stubs that I am grooving are welded on to longer sections, often at an angle or onto pumps, hoppers etc.

1621174341223.png

Back