Oxy Acetylene welder gas welding tanks - $130 (Oakley, CA)

Surprised it is not gone already. Around here, and add for two or three times that amount would be gone in an hour.

That is cheap, even when OA rigs are posted here they stay for quite a while. i meet few who can OA weld.

That is cheap, even when OA rigs are posted here they stay for quite a while. i meet few who can OA weld.

I always liked torch welding, but it wasn't a factor when I decided I needed one, I have a TIG. Cutting, heat-treating, brazing and silver soldering were what I was after. The fact that it was free made the decision much easier.

My “basics” list for building my first home shop was OA, bench grinder, arc welder, horizontal bandsaw. OA is the most versatile because you can weld, braze, solder, cut and heat with the same rig. Now I only have one of the small rigs because I have a plasma and don’t need the huge tanks to cut with. For the first 20yrs I was making my Tone-Gard for all kinds of acoustic instruments they were all hand formed and OA welded. This is a one off custom for a cello player who stands with the cello supported by a strap. He played in the WVU bluegrass band.

Attachments

• C48A0489-9CA0-424E-AF83-E7C76077F1D8.jpeg
    C48A0489-9CA0-424E-AF83-E7C76077F1D8.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • D60FF71F-C1C0-41E0-8287-7E34727C8E18.jpeg
    D60FF71F-C1C0-41E0-8287-7E34727C8E18.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 62F8D3AA-96AD-47AC-BAF2-AA1FD8CA696D.jpeg
    62F8D3AA-96AD-47AC-BAF2-AA1FD8CA696D.jpeg
    414 KB · Views: 5
over the last couple of yrs, there were many listed, few that sold, no one local will fill them..........

OA is just plain old expensive to run. Forget about the price of the equipment. Also, there are two regulators that can fail, resulting in an unpleasant rebuild cost. I was just reading about this poor guy complaining about his oxygen regulator. He had a faulty low pressure gauge, and people told him that is was not repairable. He ended up burying a new gauge and replacing it. Then, he found out why the gauge was bad. He must have left the regulator on, and the high pressure check valve failed. Also, the overpressure relief valve failed, toasting his gauge. You know how he found this out. After replacing the gauge, he noticed the overpressure condition repeat. OK, another new regulator required. No problems, he has a spare. After welding for a few minutes with the spare (clever guy, huh?) "POP". Now he has another regulator to rebuild. :(

I’ve not found it to be any more expensive than any other type of welding. And if it’s regulators that cause problems, there’s regulators on MIG, plasma, and TIG too.

Sorry, but your example sounds like it was more operator error than equipment fail. After almost 20yrs of use my first gauge quit. I bought one but got to reading up on rebuilding and found the right kit. Followed the instructions meticulously and when I tried the rebuilt it worked perfectly so I kept new one as spare. The kit was $18 and it’s been 6yrs since I kitted it.

My dad taught me OA so I feel like it’s kinda necessary to run a bead or two every now and then. It’s all I have in the shop out here so I need to get busy ;)

John

Back