OXA QCTP on a Unimat? Trying to make a Christmas gift work for my tiny lathe

It does the job without issues for me.

Post a picture of the Unimat with the OXA just sitting on top of it.
You must have gotten a package with higher QC than the one i got.
The slop and inconsistency in clearance’s between tool holders and the post was horrible.
The system produced more chatter than i could take
The stock post proved more rigid across all the materials I threw at it

You must have gotten a package with higher QC than the one i got.
The slop and inconsistency in clearance’s between tool holders and the post was horrible.
The system produced more chatter than i could take
The stock post proved more rigid across all the materials I threw at it
For me on the Craftsman 6 inch and Sherline they work fine.

A set is under $35 on Amazon and there is an easy return to get the money back if it doesn’t fit or there are any issues.

It does the job without issues for me.

Post a picture of the Unimat with the OXA just sitting on top of it.
The OXA is the size of the entire slide.

5ba19b2606442cbe4e8d43ce6e5f1741.jpg
7d6bb7437263ea35a292c694c2841596.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The OXA is the size of the entire slide.

5ba19b2606442cbe4e8d43ce6e5f1741.jpg
7d6bb7437263ea35a292c694c2841596.jpg

That could work. Orient the QCTP so one wedge is facing the spindle and the other away from you. So one tool holder can be set for facing and the other one set for turning. The way you have it now isn’t right. With the size of it the wedges would be over the sides of the slide, so the tool holders can be placed extra low which could help you set the tool on center.

Get it bolted on and set the tools on center. Great if it works. If it ends up just too big the A2Z CNC is an option. Looks like it may be fine if you can get the tools on center. And the bigger size can help the tools get lower if needed because the tool holders could clear the slide.

One easy way to mount that is to get a carriage bolt the length you need and file the bottom so the round head piece goes in the slot and the square piece holds the bolt from turning.

if it needs to be more rigid you could make up the t nut and threaded rod but the carriage bolts gets you up now so you can check fit.

By carriage bolt I mean those bolts that have the round head and the square under that.

So here's what I came up with as a prototype.

(Disclaimer: I am NOT trained or educated in CAD, drafting, or GDAT. I apologize in advance.)

75 mm length, 10 mm section of M10 x 1 thread, shaft length of 57.400 mm x a 9.974 mm diameter, turned down to a 7.5 mm shaft with a length of 4.850 mm, and then flaring out to a 15 mm diameter x 2 mm section w 1.5 mm flats cut in to accommodate the dimensions of the cross slide, all out of a piece of 15 mm monolithic round stock.

Thoughts? Does this seem like a good way to solve this problem?

370c9fc0b29ff9263b7021e58d2993a3.jpg

I know I just posted about using the carriage bolt and that is how the bottom would be with that.

The best way and the way almost all people do it is by milling piece that would essentially take up the entire slot in the slide with a little clearance at the top so when tight the bottom of the QCTP pulled down on top the slide for max contact.

then drill and tap that metal filling the slot to the thread you want.

top of your drawing is good.

if your QCTP was new it may have come with a piece of metal to cut for that purpose.

in your drawing the bottom only holds on a small part of the slide. (The weakness of the carriage bolt idea.)

if you search “QCTP t nut” on this site it will help on that

1672670624793.jpeg

Last edited:
Back