Outboard Spider

Kinda what I thought, but I wanted to hear it from someone that knows more on the topic than do I. I contacted PM and didn't get an answer as to how to go about the task. Thanks jbolt.

I'm surprised. Matt just about always answers actual questions, although I admit he often does not respond to "comments."

I'm surprised. Matt just about always answers actual questions, although I admit he often does not respond to "comments."
I don't understand your comment. I DID ask Matt a question, not a "comment". I asked him "how can I fit a outboard spider to my PM1022".

I don't understand your comment. I DID ask Matt a question, not a "comment". I asked him "how can I fit a outboard spider to my PM1022".

I thought my comment was self explanatory. Did you take offense to it for some reason.

First sentence. I'm surprised. That means that I find it surprising.

First clause of second sentence. "Matt just about always answers actual questions" in my experience I do not recall an instance were Matt did not respond to a question.

Second clause of second sentence. " I admit he often does not respond to "comments."" In my experience Matt does not always respond to comments that do not include a question.

Does that help?

Not offended in the least Bob; just concerned you didn't understand my OP which is word for word how I asked my question, not comment. It's your second sentence that made me suspicious of your understanding. I've had a couple of interactions with Matt, one with good results and one without results at all.

The man that taught me, used two test indicators, with a range rod. He made all of his adjustments using s barrel fixture from the front of his lathe. He dialed them into dead nuts. Just seem to me if the spider and the chuck jaws were not in line you would not be adjusting the same plane. Will someone explain? Just my thoughts, I'm not trying to contradict anyone. Still in the learning process.
If a barrel can be dialled in using only a barrel fixture from the front of the lathe then you don't need an outboard spider. I have seen a special chuck that is designed just for that purpose but it is nothing like a common four jaw chuck.
With a simple four point chuck or spider to hold the front of the barrel you need an outboard spider to dial it in.

IMG_1139.JPG

My previous posts pictures were a little misleading...I just threw a barrel in to show the relationship between the two chucks . Here is actually my barrel spider setup w/rangerod and indicators. No need for a outboard spider

20180222_201036 (1).jpg

Look up one for the grizzly g0602 it's also a 10 x 22 lathe there's a couple videos on it on youtube

Here is an alternative idea if you do a lot of round stock.

Okay, neat idea.....But how is that outboard chuck mounted?
If by (right-handed) threads it seems to me it would really want to unscrew, especially during spin-up.....but I guess having it grip the same item that's in the in-board collet would help that.

Also is that a six jaw?

Thanks,
-brino

Okay, neat idea.....But how is that outboard chuck mounted?
If by (right-handed) threads it seems to me it would really want to unscrew, especially during spin-up.....but I guess having it grip the same item that's in the in-board collet would help that.

Also is that a six jaw?

Thanks,
-brino
Yes it is 6 jaw. 3 jaws went missing somewhere along the line and was gonna throw it out so I repurposed it. Its a tight slip fit onto the spindle tube then just tighten the 4 screws. My lever collet chuck attaches the same way, both work great and run very tru20180222_221839.jpg

Back