OT - Most unusual Craigslist / Yard Sale or Buying-Selling experience

RWL

Active User
Registered
There's a thread elsewhere about best roadside finds and it reminded me of an unusual experience I had a few years ago. I've only had one really odd experience in my buying and selling. That's not to say that I haven't encountered some unusual characters, but this event stands out in my mind. I spotted a bench grinder on Craigslist that was pretty old but had good sturdy tool rests, something seen on commercial grinders. The seller didn't quote exact specs but the ad said it was pretty powerful and thought it was 5 HP. Sounded interesting so I made arrangements to see it. It was in a run down section of a town around an hour from my home. When I knocked on the row house door, a youngish man answered and invited me in. It was close to sunset and the dwelling was dark. There was another guy or two and a woman of around the same age, and not much furniture to speak of. I think they may have been sitting on the floor. All of the occupants were a little scruffy. The seller showed me the grinder, and when I asked to see it running, he said the power had been shut off. He suggested we could plug it in at the laundromat across the street and he and a friend carried it there and plugged it in. The Walker Turner grinder was clearly smaller than I thought it would be and the barely readable makers plate said 1/2 HP. Although old , it was quiet, had good tool rests, and at a reasonable price, so I bought it. The grinder was heavy and I had had to park on a street behind their apartment. They agreed to carry it to the corner for me and we could put it in my pickup when I came up to the intersection. All went as planned. When I got it home, I discovered the left wheel guard was cracked and loose as though it had been dropped. It was repairable with brazing, but I kick myself for having not spotted it (if it was there) prior to the purchase or I could have knocked the price down significantly. I've always wondered if they dropped it bringing it to my truck and didn't say anything. In retrospect, I suspect all of the people in that apartment were addicts living for their next fix.

Back