OT, Insulation for the garage door

8ntsane

Active User
Registered
Hey Guys

Im sure most of us have been feeling the temps drop as winter sets in. I was out in the shop today, and was kickin my own A$$ for not doing something about the drafts coming into the shop. I had intended on doing something about this over the summer months,,but you know!

I did manage to get the weather strips around the door, and that has helped alot. The thing I notice the most is the door itself is cold. This bring up my question for you guys. My door is just a typical wood door with what appears to be 1/8 thick square panels. I was over at Lowes, and seen these sheets of styrafoam. These sheets are sold in a few different thicknesses, and was wondering if this would be a way to keep some of the heat in the shop, and help keep the temp from droping so much.

The styrofoam sheets look easy enough to cut to size, and would look fairly clean. This brings up another question. How is that stuff normally attached? Staples, glue, or?

So, Is this a way to help keep the shop warm, or a total wasted effort?
I do have a small heater in there, but it has a hard time keeping the shop warm the way it is now.

Thanks Paul

I have a standard 9 x 8 overhead door that faces east, and I'll tell you what, in the morning, that thing will just about roast you. Right after the building was built, I took 1" Styrofoam sheets and cut it to fit closely in the door panels. I got the plain white, non foil backed stuff. I used Liquid Nails construction adhesive to hold it on. That's been about 11 years. It's not so white any more, but doesn't look bad. It is a shop, after all. I would highly recommend you use it, or something like it. It will make a huge difference.

My main thing is the AC in the summer, since our winters aren't generally so harsh. I have to believe that it makes a big difference in the winter as well.

also if you decide to use the 1" styrofoam insulation like tony did... try to install it with an air pocket, such as buying an extra piece of 3/4" styrofoam and attaching around the perimeter of each panel and having standoffs in the center to hold it off the wood door, it will effectively increase the r value of the insulation... you dont have too, but it helps alot.. i used the foil faced to reflect the heat and cold off the door.. i'm planning on adding an additional layer of insulation next year, or spray foam insulating the door over the existing 3/4" styrofoam..

the adhesives are pretty amazing, definetly not like they used to be. i have a metal door and i used loc-tite pl300 foam board adhesive on 3/4" foil faced styrofoam, it cures amazingly strong. its stood up to weeks of 100deg heat this summer, i've only had a couple of cold days so far this year. but you cant pull the insulation off with your hands, i would have to scrape it off..

The spray foam insulation could be another option, its much more expensive, but it would seal the door better around the hinges.. you can get the disposable do-it-yourself kits for around $150.

Thanks Guys

Ok, looks like Im on the right track here. I will be going back to Lowes later on today and have a closer look at these products. I had just seen them in passing the other day, and the light bulb in my head went off, but wasnt sure if it was just wish full thinking or not.

I know Ill have to get it in gear soon, or Im going to be freezing doing any kind of work out there, the dog too! The weather stripping around the door has made a big differance with the air coming in. Ive allso ajusted the tracks to keep the door tight to the wall when closed. Everything seems to help. I think the styrafoam would be a good second step.

Thanks for the tips given guys.
I wasnt really thinkin about the summer months, but this stuff might be good for keeping the heat out as well. On hot days, it gets like a oven in the shop, and some times bas enough, I open the door that leads to the house, and let the AC help cool it down some. It appears the styrafoam will help all year long..Not often its a win,win, with out a down side!

Paul

also make sure your bottom seal is sealing tight.. have your buddy take a flashlight on the opposite side of the door and shine it around on the intersection of the seal and floor while your watching from the other side so you can make sure its sealing..

also make sure your bottom seal is sealing tight.. have your buddy take a flashlight on the opposite side of the door and shine it around on the intersection of the seal and floor while your watching from the other side so you can make sure its sealing..

Thanks Brucer

Just checked that out, and Ill be picking up a new bottom seal as well. I guess that explains why when we got snow last yr, I noticed the shop was a little warmer. The snow was sealing the bottom of the door, mother natures lower door seal!

Paul

I have 2 9' x 8' wood doors on my shop. I glued 1" Styrofoam to them a couple years ago.
It made a huge difference to the heating bill. It gets to -20f here in the winter.
If you go with Styrofoam make sure the glue is compatible.

Terry

Compatible glues yes and keep sparks and flames away.

I am going to wedge 3 " foam 4x8 ft up and down on the outside of roll up garage door then put strips of wood around the perimeter and if I need to open the door I will only have to pull one sheet:biggrin: then NO air leaks, take a look http://www.zinsulation.com/.
Simple easy & cheap;)

Back