OT: Crooked EBay Buyer

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I don't know who this person is, but I would look out for mightypoo0 or 'ericgodfrey@surry.net'. The guy bought a steady rest from me on EBay. He then told me that it got broken in shipment. (Somehow I neglected to get insurance with the Post Office.) He then contacted me and EBay to make a complaint and cancel the sale. He had pictures of a damaged box and one of a similar steady with a tab broken off. I told him I would refund his money if he would return the damaged steady rest. He agreed. EBay has no way to deal with this type of a situation of holding payment until the item is returned. So I foolishly in good faith, returned his money and canceled the sale. Of course, after numerous emails to the SOB, he never returned the part.

Randy

Actually several months after I posted this to several sites the guy sent the rest back to me. I guess I'd better update those sites.
So, there is something to the power of the Internet

Randy

Wow! Sometimes people do surprise me. It's rare, but it happens. At least you got the rest back. Is/was it really broken?

I had a guy say he didn't receive a item, I had to refund all his money and 2 days later he wasn't a member of ebay anymore.

Thats the reason I use tracking numbers now, Even whan I give stuff away. Don't want that to happen again.

Paul

Yeah, it was broken when I got it ;-)
Randy

Gotta love Ebay! I bought 100 drill bits "mostly fractional but a few number sizes". Cool I'd just bought # sizes and filled my holes. What came in was all # sizes with a 1/4" and maybe 2 other fractionals. I mentioned it to the seller texasshowers who immediately changed the description after the auction (it shows up as changed with option to view original). I got a reply back saying it was a few fractionals. If he'd simply said sorry and how do we fix it? I'd said no worries. As it was I reported it and it seemed Ebay was perfectly happy to have me send them back on my postage even though there was no resemblance to the description of the item. I had not enough faith in the character of the seller to do so and simply left a bad review. A week later I bought some 5/16 carbide 4 flute EMC qty4. it turned out that the 1st 2 I opened were 4 flute and next 2 were 2 flute. Contacted the seller toolbuyer75etu who was surprised, apologized, and asked how to fix it. "No worries, it's good".

A week later I bought an 8" 38a wheel. It arrived well packed and undamaged boxes but broke in half. Emailed a picture on the flat rate box and the seller tmleader said he was sending another out to replace it. Which arrived swiftly and in good shape.

I hate shipping anything back because I only ship with a tracking number so it can't be claimed as not received easily. My wife sells a good bit on ebay and occasionally things get broken in shipment. Just a picture of the broken item that will prove it was broken will get it refunded.

Steve ( who firmly believes that not everyone is a crook)

Reputations are key for me. If I see a seller has more than a few negatives over the past 6 months I avoid him. If I'm selling then when I ship I get a signature-required or proof of delivery. Luckily I've only had a problem once and it was settled fast when I informed the buyer I had his wife's signature upon delivery. :nono: There are mostly good people in the world. If you try to cover all your bases the rare time you get some butthead trying to screw you you won't freak out because you CYA.

I have a buyer busting my stones right now. I shipped him two dive computers and one of the buttons is higher than the rest and he is driving me absolutely crazy. I'm just going to file a damage claim with USPS and send him a brand new one. I'll never ship to Australia again, to much hassle, too expensive and to big of a PITA.
Rant done......
Bob

I meant did you receive it in the same condition as you shipped it or did the guy break it?

When I shipped it, it was in excellent condition. When I got it back the hinge was broken. Anything could have happened, But his reluctance to return it made me suspicious/angry.

Randy

Back