Ordered a LMS 7x12 deluxe mini lathe

Mlazzara

Registered
Registered
Well I finally ordered my first piece of equipment. After research I made a decision to order the LMS 7x12 deluxe model with tool package. Any setup adivise or comments would be appreciated. Once I set this unit up and work with it, I would like to add a mill.

Thanks

Mike

Congratulations! I had a 7x12 in my previous home shop and found it competent for my needs at that time. I probably will be opting for the Micro Mark 7x16 though, as I found a few times when the extra length would have simplified some things.

I will be getting the fixed column LMS mill too. I need small machines that I can move myself and that don't take up a lot of room, so this one should fit the bill. I am a little hesitant about the rack/gear arrangement on the Z axis, but will try it and see how it works. I may modify it for a 20tpi screw later.

Last edited:
welcome to the addiction. I had to talk myself out of a Cincinnati 2m today. :-(

Steve

I would see if you can get their 7 x 16 as a machine, or only a retrofit kit. I wish I had that bed on mine. Giving a little more room between centers. 7 x 12 is pretty small. The original 7 x 10 is tiny.

I was unsure about the size. I hope it works. Its a first for me. If I can modify it later on, then I will. I am also limited on space. The parts I hope to machine will not be too large. As I said I am new to machining and excited. I am hoping to take a class at the community college. I also want to add a mill and any suggestions would be great.

Mike

Last edited:
I have had the LMS 4200 for two weeks. You will love it. Set up was minimal. Machine was pretty much ready to go out of the box.

For the difference in price and the 25% off today I would opt for the HF 8X14. It has an additional 1 inch of swing and an extra 2 inches of bed length for a tad less money. The HF machines just need a good thotough clean, lube and carefull re-assembly and they will perform very nicely. There are a bunch of mods available that can be applied to the HF, LMS. Busy Bees and many others. The Chinese minis do an excelent job and you can actually save a good bit of cash if you find one at HF and spend the money you save on getting some basic NON-carbide tools,calipers, micrometers, and dividers. I have the 7X10 and it is small but still a little dynamo on stuff that is in it's size range. Just thinkin out loud, and Chris at LMS is a real stand up guy and will be glad to help you with any parts or tools you ever need.

Bob

You should be really happy with it. I haven't seen that one in person but I have used the Micromark 7x16 which is about the same. The brushless motor is much nicer than the stock motor.

Well Bob its your fault, I order a mill form HF with the 25% discount. I wanted a mill also
so I went for it. With the combo I hope to really learn and have fun creating. Thanks for the info.

Mike

Back