Ordered A 1340gt, How To Support It Temporarily?

I wouldn't mess around with any temporary support structure. 1200# of cast iron can be dangerous.

It is only a couple of weeks, just wait.

In the meantime, you can mount the components onto a backplate, cut the holes in your control cabinet (pro-tip: a green-lee type knock-out punch does a much better job of cutting the holes than a hole saw, you can pick one up from Harbor Freight or eBay), re-wire the from-panel controls as needed for the VFD control.

Mark,
Thanks for the offer to help. Yes, I'll gladly take the documentation!

I have sent you a PM.

Just an FYI, you don't need a braking resistor. You may be surprised without it I have a 14x40 and I can decelerate a 4.5 x 3 plus the mass of the chuck/ gear train and motor from 1400 rpm to 0 in about 2 seconds. You can play with your deceleration rate and set it where you work most frequently. Worst case scenario is it faults out and coasts to a stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randy,
Thanks and that is a good tip.

I think you do want one if you go with the addition of a carriage proximity switch/stop. Mark's youtube shows how slick one works with the threading process.

My son put a braking resistor with the addition of a VFD on a milling machine to help stop it vs. using the manual brake and it works very well.

Thanks for all the advice on this thread. The lathe arrived and I got it moved into the shop (subject of another thread). After getting this machine in hand, I feel it would be unwise to unattach it from the pallet unless you had a new support built to bolt it to and to hold it. So I have left it attached to pallet (bottom of the crate) that it came on and it is stable. I have no fear of overturn with it still bolted to the pallet.

I raised it up a bit this morning so I can proceed to get it cleaned up and begin working on the electrical without laying on the floor to do it. I will also put some extra support under it when I am working on it. I have two floor jacks that I will use.

It is also now ready for the stand when it shows up. It being up off the floor lets me slip the carriage of the engine hoist under the pallet, unbolt the pallet and then put the lathe on the stand. I have found the engine hoist quite valuable in past few days.

waiting for cleanup.jpg

Back